Guppies bothering my Platy....

ashtin49

Reaction score
I have 2 fancy tailed guppies that are TOTALLY driving one of my Orange Platies nuts! I am 95% sure both my Platies are male as I compared them to the picture and post pinned by William. I'm pretty sure the guppies are also male. Two of the guppies will chase and kind of nip near one of the orange platies tummy, CONSTANTLY!!!! I called several fish stores that said they have never heard of this unless the platy is dying or preg. I don't think either are the case. Any suggestions? I will post on chit chat as well.

Thanks!

Male guppies will sometimes harass each other vying for dominance. Maybe the guppies are doing the same thing with the platy? They are both livebearers (although they are from different genus).

aberdeen aquarist said:
ash try putting in some female guppies, that will take the males attention off the platy.
Not a good idea unless you want to get at least 6 female guppies. Otherwise the male guppies you have will harass the females to death.

My fancy tailed Guppy is doing exactly the same thing. :crazy: I figured it was a male dominance thing. I'm heading out to buy him some females and hope that works. :*)

guppymonkey said:
aberdeen aquarist said:
ash try putting in some female guppies, that will take the males attention off the platy.
Not a good idea unless you want to get at least 6 female guppies. Otherwise the male guppies you have will harass the females to death.
So, Aberdeen, do you have any other ideas?? :)

I'm not sure about buying some female guppies, I don't have room for tons of babies I'm sure they would make!

I'm just real surprised, I really thought guppies were peaceful fish. It's normal then for them to be nippy?? I think I will bring them back to the store then. Though I know it's probably impossible to have a totally peaceful tank I don't want any bullies constantly bugging another fish. My Orange Platies were my first fish I love them and don't want them to be bugged to death! The poor platy that keeps getting harrassed seems like he keeps swimming up to me and just looking at me like, HELP ME, GET THIS THING AWAY FROM ME!!!

I'm pretty sure the two "butthead" guppies are the ones that nipped my other poor guppies tall off! Lil' stinkers! :eek:

Most reactions

Back