Guppies And Molly Fry

DarkShadow435

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
It seems as if my new guppies are being harrassed by my other fish in my 50 gallon tank. Can i move them to my 10 gallon which is housing my 2 week old molly fry? Will the fry be safe?

if the molly fry are too big to fit in the guppies mouth, then yes, but i doubt they wont.my 2 week old platy fry are small, so i bet your young mollies would be eaten.but the guppies might not bother, it ca go both ways.

if the molly fry are too big to fit in the guppies mouth, then yes, but i doubt they wont.my 2 week old platy fry are small, so i bet your young mollies would be eaten.but the guppies might not bother, it ca go both ways.

So what would your opinion be?

erm... gather up the fry and place in breeding nets, and put the guppies in the 10g.
or devide a small section off for the fry, and let the guppies live in the other side.

they dont stress they fry out, if your really bothered, buy 2 and have half of the fry in each, only till they get bigger, then add them into the tank with the guppies.
ive had no problems with breeding nets and young fry.
make sure you get a breeding NET, not a breeding trap, nets are bigger

Well, i just found an outbreak of Ich in my 50 gallon tank, so the guppies arnt going anywhere until the problem has cleared.

For ich, turn your heat up to 87F and leave it there until two weeks after the last signs of ich disappear.

As far as the Molly fry go, at two weeks normally they're large enough not to be eaten by Guppies.

The goldfish will get too large for the ten gallon you have at work. Also, Goldfish are very messy fish. That 10 gallon is too small for them.

The goldfish are small feeder fish that i bought for $.12 each. I know that eventually i'll have to move them, but for right now, they're fine in the 10 gal. Thanks! :D

And as far as the Ich. I just bought some medication that requires no temperature increase. And usually rids the tank of the problem within 24 hrs.

I prefer to use the heat method to treat ich, rather than medication. The medication will stain your tank's silicone sealant if you have a powder with color.

my medication for ich a while back didnt stain my silicone.raising the temperature works best, but only if you have somewhere to put the fish and treat them too.that temperature is high for most fish

While 87F is out of the ideal range for the fish, it's not prolonged. You are treating them. It's like a fever, but since fish can't control their body temperatures, the only way to do things is to raise their environment temperature. Almost all fish will tolerate these kinds of temperatures, including coldwater fish, such as goldfish. It will shorten their lives if you have them at a constant temperature this high, but the few weeks to treat ich are fine.

I put the fry in a breeding net, and put the guppy in. One of my guppies died due to Ich medication, i got my money back for him tho. Thanks for all your help guys.

Be aware that ich medication is poison, even to the fish. The theory about how it works is that in proper dosing it's more harmful to the parasite than the fish, but it's the reason I prefer heat treatment.

Most reactions

Back