Guppies Abdomen out of proportion

bigfish

Fish Herder
Reaction score
My female guppy is heavliy pregnant and her gravid spot is quite big but im just worried about her abdomen as from behind it's not symetrical. Is this normal?

Please help me. xxxx

It seems to be leaning towards the left, also she has become very quite and looking for a place to hide, does this mean that she ready to drop anytime if so how long will it be?

I've already witnessed 1 live birth and it was amazing!!!

What I can tell you is our guppies gave birth during daylight hours. Their behavior before hand would differ depending on which guppy as each has their own personality. Basically though, they would hang out at the top of the water first in one of the corners to hide, breathing quite heavily. When close to birth, they changed positions and go to the bottom very close to the gravel. There they pop out a few then do this ritual all over again til the next go round.

As far as the gavid spot being offset, I cant explain that one so maybe someone else can explain it. I have learned when the birth canal discolors(almost brownish) and becomes thin, the gavid spot becomes quite black in color and when their air bubble almost disappears they are going to give birth soon; almost always by the next day. Their stomach looks like they ATE way too much........lol

I dont know if that helped at all, but ............ 8)

Hey thanks for the advice,

My last guppy gave birth in daylight hours and she took a couple of hours to do this, so far i haven't seen any fry as yet i've added more busy plants to the aquarium so the babies have a chance to hide.

Also i have read that increasing the temperture by 2'C or changing 20% of the water everyday untill they drop there babies. Would you agree to this statement?

I cant say that changing the water or temp is a good idea. Here we give them frozen brine shrimp and this seems to ease them to the point they are more than willing to pop them out :D The one thing I didnt mention was ours had babies every 21 days and not the standard 28 days that so many sites have talked about. We cataloged our births so we knew about when birth was expected to get the equipment ready.

well im happy to say that she gave birth to 4 guppies and there are still some loose in my community tank, they are slightly orange in colour so who the father is i have no idea!!!!

Virgin birth!!!! :lol:

didnt realise how quick they are at swimming away from me.

I feed them brine shrimp, flake and occasional blood worm.

I had a guppy that swam on its side but it went away after birth.

well im happy to say that she gave birth to 4 guppies and there are still some loose in my community tank, they are slightly orange in colour so who the father is i have no idea!!!!

Thats a good thought, a single female canhold the sperm of a single male and drop about 5-8 times over a few months! so you can never be sure and the males only ever thinking about getting her preggy.

Most reactions

Back