Guppie Fry Temps

meehan09

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
If i plan on removing the guppie fry from there tank to a seperate tank, what temp is ideal for the baby fry?

Also just wondering has ive read they will be fine at room temp 70F? Will this be ok?

Or will i need an additional heater for them? i have a tank and filter just only able to get room temp around 72F?

And how often will i need to feed thease babys? all help will be greatfull.

Edit : will it be ok to remove the fry using a very fine net ?

Regards,
Paul

70F is about 26C? if so thats fine =]

technically guppys can be kept as low as 16C!

I reared mine at room temperature and all is fine!

feed them crushed flake 3 times a day and a fine net will be fine!

good luck!

Ok thankyou very much :good:

Oh and sorry if iam right room temp 70-72F is 22-23C?

Is this temp ok for the fry?...

Yep the guppys will be fine at room temperature, all the tank needs is a filter and some form of lighting (either sunlight or light from tank lights)- there are special foods for fry out there however its totally possible to just raise them on very finely crushed fish flakes (feed them 3 times a day), just make sure you keep the substrate clean in the tank as feeding fry can be a messy business (you don't want uneaten food to build up in the tank as that can harbor columnaris). edit: oh yeah and make sure the tank is cycled before moving the fry into it, you can instantly cycle it by "cloning" the filter bacteria from your current tanks filter to the new fry tanks filter (for example by squeezing some of the muck from the current filter into the new one etc).

Ok thankyou very much for the info, ive tooken everything on board, and ive added the media to the new filter ive added to the fry tank.

One last thing, my female guppie has only had 2 fry? is this normal has i heard they ment have much more then this, the females still look pregnant and still have the black mark on them, but there is so far only 2 fry in there? ( witch ive taken out and put into the fry tank )

Hope someone can help me out, thanks.

It is possible for a female to give birth to a few fry at one time them give birth to the rest at another time, they dont all have to come at the same time,

Ben.M

Ok thankyou, so far there is two, so i may be exspecting more very soon then. they all seem to have the black mark still so im thinking anyday soon there will be more fry then ?

Thanks.

If you are only finding 2 guppy fry, the chances are good that the rest are hiding or were eaten. It is quite unusual, not completely impossible, to have a guppy start and stop a fry drop where the stop is more than a few hours. The question about room temperature is easy. Guppies will adapt readily to lower temperatures than we usually give them. 70F is 21.1C but is well within their comfort zone.

hello,
I would recommend the temp to be around 20 - 30 degress celcuis and they would be PERFECTLY fine at room temp mine are in a small tub with no filteration and no heater...just make sure you clean them out and do water changes lots! :good:

PLEASE don't listen to all those people who think you need a massive tank with a expensive filter and heater becuase I have some of my guppys'/fry in a room temp tank and they have been perfectly fine for just over 1 year. Guppies are like goldfish they can both live at room temp but BOTH like heaters people think just because guppies are tropical fish and look colourful they need special ''TROPICAL FISH'' conditions and treatment.

thanks,
Jammyjames59

hello,
I would recommend the temp to be around 20 - 30 degress celcuis and they would be PERFECTLY fine at room temp mine are in a small tub with no filteration and no heater...just make sure you clean them out and do water changes lots! :good:

PLEASE don't listen to all those people who think you need a massive tank with a expensive filter and heater becuase I have some of my guppys'/fry in a room temp tank and they have been perfectly fine for just over 1 year. Guppies are like goldfish they can both live at room temp but BOTH like heaters people think just because guppies are tropical fish and look colourful they need special ''TROPICAL FISH'' conditions and treatment.

thanks,
Jammyjames59

A guppy cannot tolerate the temperatures that a goldfish can. Goldfish are temperate fish that can live in a pond with a thick layer of ice on the top. If you try that with a guppy you will have a dead guppy. I would not personally try to keep a guppy at less than about 65F, 18C. There are lots of fish that are kept in tropical tanks that can go colder than that but you are unlikely to run into many besides white clouds in a typical fish store. Most houses are warm enough most of the time to be fine for a guppy, they like people temperatures. If people find the temperature comfortable, without heavy clothing, the guppy will probably be fine too. I don't know how to put a sweater on my guppies so I don't quite go that cold with them.

Most reactions

Back