Green Frogs

matchstickgeezer

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

My LFS has some "... green frogs...." they are tropical and very small in size (they are dark in colour, not really green!). The man told me that they should be okay in my community tank, but does anybody have any extra info?? I dont want to buy some if they are going to eat every thing!

Thanks

Were they Dwarf Clawed Frogs? If so they make good community inhabitants. But we really need to know exactly what they are to give a proper reply.

dwarf clawed frogs dont make good comunity inhabitants african dwarf frogs do clawed frons will eat its tank mates

Dwarf clawed frogs only grow to about an inch that is why they are called dwarfs and are not big enough to eat a Neon! Clawed frogs grow alot bigger but that is why i said we need to know exactly what they are.

African dwarf frogs, of which I've had many, many, many in the past, are what I think you people are talking about. African clawed frogs look like the dwrf frog when they are young, but after that they grow big and will eat anything that is smaller than them which includes most aquarium fish. Dwarf frogs are good community frogs because they do not eat other fish, only the food you give them. African clawed frogs cannot be put in the same tank as other fish, or sometimes even with other clawed frogs, because they will usually eat them too. If you are thinking of getting a frog for your tank, I suggest the dwarf frog, I've had lots live with fish.

These frogs are different:
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/clawedordwarf.html
the dwarf frog page:
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/clawed.html
the clawed frog page:
http://allaboutfrogs.org/info/species/clawed.html

Thanks for the info.

They were less than 1" in size and wouldnt grow much bigger.... they had webbed feet but I think clawed hands?? They were in a tank with some angels in the shop. The man said they would be okay in a community tank as they didnt grow any bigger than they were already.

Sorry for lack of info, I cant remember the full name they had!

Sounds like a dwarf frog to me- back clawed feet = clawed frog
front clawed feet= dwrf frog.
There should be some more info in the other posts. You should look around.
There are so many people who confuse these 2 frogs!

Iv been looking into these for the last 2 weeks and going off what you have said they are the Dwarf frogs and they should grow any bigger than 2 - 2.5". They are like a dark green/ brown colour.

They will be ok with communities and they wont eat other fish, however within a community they may struggle to get food as they have poor eye sight.

The best way to feed them is to get a straw and attach the frozen blood worm to the end of it - then drop the food to the place thet are in. At 1st the straw may scare them, however they will get use to it. :good:

Sounds like a dwarf frog to me- back clawed feet = clawed frog
front clawed feet= dwrf frog.
There should be some more info in the other posts. You should look around.
There are so many people who confuse these 2 frogs!

alright, i don't know about these so-called dwarf clawed frogs, but I've had african clawed frogs and this is wrong. ACFs are clawed in front and webbed behind not the other way around, and they will eat anything that fits in their mouths; including gravel to give you an idea of just how little they care.

yes thats true clawed frogs have clawed hands!

my adfs have clawed feet - i was worried i had got clawed frogs but then i found out that ADFS do infact have claws too - ADFS also go spotty with age - not sure if Clawds do this aswell.

i love my ADFS i pay my poor fish much less 'goo-goo-gah-gah' attention lol

Most reactions

Back