Gravel change

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Brian02

Reaction score
Hi, my tank has white gravel which I want to change to a different colour (same kind) of gravel. I was planning on doing it section by section. 20 gallon tank so was going to do 1/3 at a time? Was thinking would remove the old stuff with a bet during a water change so the vacuum is going. Then add the new cleaned gravel to that section.
Does this sound reasonable or am I missing anything important that would hurt the fish / tank balance? Thx

With fish present, move them to a temporary "tank" [any suitable clean container or a spare tank] so you can do the job well in an empty tank. A few weeks ago another member tried changing some of the substrate and hit an anaerobic patch and killed fish. You would also have the problem of the materials mixing, as they will do just with normal water flow currents and fish.

I've no idea what fish you have/intend, but make sure sand would not be a better option before using another gravel.

With fish present, move them to a temporary "tank" [any suitable clean container or a spare tank] so you can do the job well in an empty tank. A few weeks ago another member tried changing some of the substrate and hit an anaerobic patch and killed fish. You would also have the problem of the materials mixing, as they will do just with normal water flow currents and fish.

I've no idea what fish you have/intend, but make sure sand would not be a better option before using another gravel.
Hi, will do thanks. I did have another tank but had couple surprise fry arrivals few weeks ago and now the fry are in the other tank. Will use another container.
I have mollies - I think they are good with the gravel?? My other tank that the fry are in has sand substrate

Hi, will do thanks. I did have another tank but had couple surprise fry arrivals few weeks ago and now the fry are in the other tank. Will use another container.
I have mollies - I think they are good with the gravel?? My other tank that the fry are in has sand substrate

Mollies won't care what substrate material you have. Substrate fish like cories, loaches, some cichlids would be affected.

Most reactions

Back