Got It - Ammonia, Finally!

Little_Nemo

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Finally got some ammonia - could really do with some help as to where i go from here? Confused with the calculator, entered measurements and it says I need to put about 1.84ml of ammonia in the tank. Do I need to do any water changes or tests before hand?

Does it matter that my tank has plants and decor in it?

No it doesn't matter about the plants/decor.

Think of the Ammonia as artificial fish poo.

Basically the ammonia is what the fish will put into the tank via their poo so you're just using an substitute.

Has the tank got anything in it except plants and decor ?
If the tank is setup with just water, decor and plants you don't need to test anything just add the ammonia wait 24 hr's and test the level of ammonia. You can test your tank parameters for interests sake if you like but it isn't a neccesity. 1 thing I would reccomend putting the plants in a different tank/bucket/bowl until your fishless cycle is done as ammonia + light = algea which is a pain in the neck. Although you can just clean the tank once the fishless cycle is done.

Just plants and decor

dsc0093p.jpg

Are they live plants?

Nice tank by the way :)

Yeh they are

Ah ok, was going to say turn the light's off and do your fishless cycle and you will be ok, but the plants need some light... if you reduce the light to about 1-2 hours of bulb light per day and let natural light at them during daytime should reduce the algae enough that it shouldn't be a pain to clean later down the line. Not 100% though as I don't know how much light your plants require.

I know I've deffo got Echinodorus amazonicus (Amazon Sword) Cabomba caroliniana (Green Cabomba) and Nymphaea sp. 'rubra' (Rubra Water Lily) I just cant identify the other 1 - its grass like :/ I'm presuming it could be Tape Grass

Most reactions

Back