Going On Holidays

just connect the fluval 205 up to the 10 gallon while you are away andf leave it running in there with the Under gravel filter
as its the filter that cycles not the tank - dont bother removing the media from the 205 just put the canister over
then when you return swap it back

feeding the fish

just feed the fish just before you leave normal amount (sinking pellet for the cory) and they'll be fine until you return three nights isnt very long
mine have been left 6 nights without food but i do have a heavilly planted tank

The problem is that I'm not sure the 205 will work on the 10 gallon? The hoses won't fit through the lid openings and the hoses are too short to reach where I have the 10 gallon tank (I have it on top of a bookcase). I could just prop it up on a chair beside but the hoses will still not fit through the lid. I would just leave the lid off but the Zebra's like to jump out.

Thanks for all the suggestions. It looks like I may not need to worry anyway. Currently Ammonia is processing from 5ppm-0ppm in about 24 hours and the Nitrites have been non existent for 3 days, so they are processing faster than the ammonia. I may be through my fishless cycle before I leave in two weeks, in that case I can simply put fish in the tank before I leave. Hopefully *fingers crossed*

Yes to the chair. If the cycle doesn't finish and you attempt the filter running on the little tank just remember that nothing needs to be "pretty" while you are away. As long as you rig the filter up just beneath the level of the tank.. probably the lower the better.. don't get it too close to the surface level of the tank or it could be bad for your pumphead in the big filter (due to a thing called cavitation.)

You could just rig up some boards or whatever to block jumping fish. Just be sure whatever you rig up can't fall in and of course will not be damaged by condensation. Its so easy to get in the mindset of a tank being a pretty thing, one forgets the flexibility of functional options that might work when looks don't matter!

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back