Going On Holiday Help

sharonmooney

Reaction score
HI Im going on holiday for 17 days and have no one to look after my fish, i would like to know what to do about feeding them and what about the lighting will they be ok with out the light on for that length if time please help

HI Im going on holiday for 17 days and have no one to look after my fish, i would like to know what to do about feeding them and what about the lighting will they be ok with out the light on for that length if time please help

How many and what kind of fish do you have. You can buy holiday blocks from your lfs which will release food in the tank as it breaks up through time,you also can buy automatic fish feeders from your lfs which work with a timer clock releasing food every 6-12 hours or so, also you can put your light on a timer if you want but its not really neccessary if no one will be there. Hope this helps and happy hols

Your only option is to get an electronic feeder. The "holiday" food blocks are more trouble than they are worth: they will pollute the water more than anything.

Why do you not use a timer for the lights? They usually only cost £2/€2/$3 or so. It is much better for the fish to have a set lighting time which is always the same.

you can put your light on a timer if you want but its not really neccessary if no one will be there.
Actually, I would say, that it is necessary: how would you feel if you were left in a dark room for a few weeks? Fish are still animals and should be given a good environment to live in.

Your only option is to get an electronic feeder. The "holiday" food blocks are more trouble than they are worth: they will pollute the water more than anything.

Why do you not use a timer for the lights? They usually only cost £2/€2/$3 or so. It is much better for the fish to have a set lighting time which is always the same.

you can put your light on a timer if you want but its not really neccessary if no one will be there.
Actually, I would say, that it is necessary: how would you feel if you were left in a dark room for a few weeks? Fish are still animals and should be given a good environment to live in.

I was assuming that the tank would get sufficient light through the daylight so as not to need the light on if they didnt really want to put it on a timer as some people might not be keen on putting to many things on timers assuming that house lights will be on timers during hols

You will need an auto feeder unit, DO NOT USE HOLIDAY BLOCKS. There are loads of stories wher thy break down too quickly and poison the fish, and you come home to a dead tank!

Lights are not important unless you have a planted tank! If you felt uncomfortable leaving them with no lights on I would just put a lamp on beside the tank and leave that on!

Do a big water change just before you leave 50-60% and it should all be ok.

PS enjoy your holiday!

You will need an auto feeder unit, DO NOT USE HOLIDAY BLOCKS. There are loads of stories wher thy break down too quickly and poison the fish, and you come home to a dead tank!

Lights are not important unless you have a planted tank! If you felt uncomfortable leaving them with no lights on I would just put a lamp on beside the tank and leave that on!

Do a big water change just before you leave 50-60% and it should all be ok.

PS enjoy your holiday!

To sharonmooney i agree with what kitkat and rdp50734 are saying, when you go to get an auto feeder you should think about what your tank lid is like in relation to the tyoe of auto feeder you are going to get as they have different ways of attatching to your tank, some attatch onto the top of the glass preventing the lid from closing others have suction clips, just something to bear in mind when you get one. good luck and happy hols

Most reactions

Back