GloFish

Kyle said:
Adrinal said:
Point is, work with me here, there are no needles being injected into glow fish. They are now breed just like any fish.
I don't think it is really a question of needles or no needles. We give all sorts of animals shots with needles and this is not considered cruel. But when you start manipulating something from nature, be it color, shape, temperment, whatever, you are messing with something that was not meant to be. If this company started making neon glowing labrador retreivers, would people allow this? I am not saying that danios are the same as labs, but who can choose the value of one animal over another. And whose to say that this "mutation" isn't painful and scarring to every one of these fish, whether injected or bred?
and the origional point here is: why are people upset with a little ornimental fish when we are complacent about much larger issues?

BTW welcome to Fish Forums.

After watching part of that video, I was starting to wonder why you were alright with the genetic altering of anything... including fish. But maybe you arent. Some people were saying in the above posts that they thought they were cool and would buy them if they weren't so expensive. This shows that the genetic mutating of these fish was okay. These are the people I am addressing.

Hmm, yes, well I do like a dish of sarcasim with my dumplings...
I would protest glowfish if this was 50 (more less?) years ago and genetic engeneering hadn't already become a staple.
Because there are far worse atrocitys being carried out than the glow fish I think it is a waisted cause to care at all. The doors to genetic Hell have been opened up and the cultural acceptance and legal pathways railed in. Without focusing on the trunk of the issue how can the branches be plucked off... or if they are wont another just grow in its place? (Staple foods = trunk).

If I were optimistic though, I would hope to stop folks from purchacing man made odditys.

K think I am done on this thread for a while :)

Adrinal said:
Because there are far worse atrocitys being carried out than the glow fish I think it is a waisted cause to care at all.
Hmmm, a waisted cause to care... Because caring takes so much energy? Or caring takes time? I don't understand why you would abandon your own feelings just to fall in line with what other people think.Just because there are far worse things happening doesn't mean you can't care about something else. The mind is an amazing thing, it can keep track of millions of things, so caring about small things can still be done.

Perhaps you didnt read it... I say why it is a waisted cause IMO...
You are welcome to disagree... just aknowlage that I put a complete idea in there...a few times now...

"Hmmm, a waisted cause to care... Because caring takes so much energy? Or caring takes time? I don't understand why you would abandon your own feelings just to fall in line with what other people think."

Where did I say because it takes so much energy... or caring takes time?
I SAID, BECAUSE THERE ARE OTHER ISSUES THAT ARE OF PARAMOUNT CONCERN.

Plz take the time to digest the posts instead of shooting from the hip, now its just annoying.

You do the same. I didn't say you said those things. Can you not see the question marks? Usually these indicate questions not statements. Learn to follow your own advice.

Most all questions have a statment within them.
None the less I will heed my own advice :D

I think if it hurt them you'd know it....cause what does any animal do when in pain? They make a fuss. If these fish were in pain they'd be jumping out of their bowls spazzing out in their aquarium, acting...abnormally.

As for plants not having feelings, come on...watch ferngully again! :p

some people would say they're only fish - if it were to further medical research, I would say use the fish rather than dogs/monkeys/rats etc but people only want them for money - they would look cool if it were natural. I wouldnt keep the little things myself, but i agree we are PLAYING WITH A TIMEBOMB! stop messing with genetics, mr scientist!

Most reactions

Back