GloFish

JobySp said:
I know that my LFS disagrees with it wholeheartedly and has told me that on occassion he has been sent dyed fish instead of the ones he has ordered. He keeps them in a separate tank and doesn't sell them to the public and lets them live out their lives in his shop - ain't that nice.

I say that anyone here who actually agrees with so called glofish should put themselves up to the scientific community so they can perform all sorts of dye injection techniques in an attempt to make them look prettier... :D

Then again - everybody has their own opinions and it is each to their own.

I think gentic altering, any kind of it- will eventually lead to disaster.

I wholeheartedly agree. If science continues in the way that it is - we will be the death of our own species as well as all of the others on this planet.
Attack of the glowing danios! we're doomed! come on... :p

I don't think glowfish are worth all of the hype nor worth the price they charge for them. Don't you need a special black light to make them glow anyway? I just don't think they are worth it. :/

Ya, I've seen them here and they arn't very impressive. I even wrapped my coat around the tank... nothing.. you must need a black light, as has been mentioned, to make them glOw... and in that case why not just get neons (BTW I am apathetic about the genetic bs, they just arn't as impressive as the doped up pictures).
More over, 10$ a shot is... alot.

It is human nature to "do more and go farther". It will not stop at a few glowing fish. Even things that started out with the best of intentions can and do go bad.This whole thing reeks of garbage. :p Trust me, it will get worse. :no:

My lfs got some in last week :X .They definately glow but I wasn't impressed :/ Some of them were so deformed,their bodies were scrunched into an S shape,very pitiful

I fail to see how any one can complain or be bothered in the slightest about the fish... Really, I'm not joking... I mean, I can understand the knee jerk reaction to this... but... what right does any one here (plz dont get upset if you are really the 1 in 10,000 exeption... and don't bs if you arn't).
Just because genetic engenering has come into the entertainment industry (as pets are not essential for living).
99% of ALL the food is genetically engenered...(I made up that number... but I know wheat/corn meats... and I am sure most other staples (other than the few corners inthe store with organic stuff... anyone with current stats, I'd love to see them). That is not to say one type of corn (like one type of ornimental fish). Infact how many corns are left in the USA (not small pockets in Crimsons back yard, I mean on the main farms).
I assume the UK is about the same...
I am sure BKK or anyone living overseas can tell you what it is like shopping in a real farmers market where the natural foods come with the seasons and there is more than 3 types of lettus on the shelf...
Our complacency with this much larger issue...
Well, you see what I am driving at... just seems so hypocrytical to me to even knotice these fish after the compleete domination of genetically altered foods has already set in...

I wish the people who did this to fish had something like that to feel. Like having octoplats and all 7 were going to die and only one was going to live but with a disease.

55 gallon when they say 800 died that means 800 eggs died not fish when you are inserting genes it is very easy to mess up and lyse the cell (break)

and the "S" shape is not a result of being a GloFish it is a result of being an overfed danio It happens to normal ones too.

And I know I said I would not say anymore but I had to Sry.

Opcn

I say that anyone here who actually agrees with so called glofish should put themselves up to the scientific community so they can perform all sorts of dye injection techniques in an attempt to make them look prettier...

People pay big bucks for plastic surgery, and there were test subjects for every procedure. People gladly undergo grotesque and intensely painful procedures to look better. Humans are definitely odd about aesthetics.

55gallondude said:
I wish the people who did this to fish had something like that to feel. Like having octoplats and all 7 were going to die and only one was going to live but with a disease.
If you've ever had an MRI then you would know how it feels. Probably a lot less painfull for the fish...

I once glowed too!!! <--- MRI scan

Yes, and it is a shame that we have gentically engineered foods. Alot of the corn/wheat,etc. is sterile. You can not plant it and have it come true. We grow Heirloom veggies and fruits here. It is getting hard to find some of the older foods as a result of genetic altering. :sad:

Most reactions

Back