Glo Fish & Blue Led Light Question

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

tararizer

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
I am curious if it would be ok for my 6 in blue LED light to be left on 24/7 or is it necessary to turn it off every night..?

Probably off at night, so the fish can have a natural rest time and also the lights can get very hot.  You can do some nighttime hours though, just when it gets dark leave it on for a few hours or if it is already off, just when light is starting to go turn on the light. 

I have a few tanks that the light in on 24/7, the fish cope no probs at all. Some others i forget to turn off the light so they may go a few days before being turned off. My 5ft angel tank has a tube that stays on and the other is turned off every night.

Alasse said:
I have a few tanks that the light in on 24/7, the fish cope no probs at all. Some others i forget to turn off the light so they may go a few days before being turned off. My 5ft angel tank has a tube that stays on and the other is turned off every night.
Why? I get that you can forget at times but it can't think of a reason why'd you constantly want a light on. :/

if its a question of forgetting then you can buy a timer for next to nothing at a b&q or a place like that

It is no big drama if they stay on....forgetting or for other reasons

And the only tanks that have timers are the fully planted tanks

I've always been under the impression that the best 'method' for lighting is to mimic as close as possible a normal day/night cycle. A cycle perhaps resembling (as close as possible) the origins of the fish you keep. I get that this can be difficult as we keep all sorts but you have to start somewhere. 

Not sure about having lights on all the time...when I see my guys' behavior during the day and at night (lights on then lights off) it's different, and I feel they need that difference.

I don't think it's very fair to the fish to keep the lights on all the time.  It isn't natural and they exhibit different behvaious under the cover of darkness.  Imagine if you were stuck in a room with the lights on 24/7.

Blue and red LED's that are used for night lighting are not as bad, they are designed to show what the fish are doing when its dark and the feel more secure.  I still would only use them for a period of time after/before the main lights are on, and not leave them on constantly.

With the cost of timers, and the electricity saving, I don't really see why people wouldn't give their fish a natural light/dark cycle.  The majority of living things have a circadian rhythm which is reset with the light/dark cycle.  Plenty of studies showing this is also the case in fish.

shrimply said:
I don't think it's very fair to the fish to keep the lights on all the time.  It isn't natural and they exhibit different behvaious under the cover of darkness.  Imagine if you were stuck in a room with the lights on 24/7.

Blue and red LED's that are used for night lighting are not as bad, they are designed to show what the fish are doing when its dark and the feel more secure.  I still would only use them for a period of time after/before the main lights are on, and not leave them on constantly.

With the cost of timers, and the electricity saving, I don't really see why people wouldn't give their fish a natural light/dark cycle.  The majority of living things have a circadian rhythm which is reset with the light/dark cycle.  Plenty of studies showing this is also the case in fish.
Yeah I agree, I try to mimic the sun up and down cycle. It gets tricky in summer when the sun rises at 5 am lol.

Whatever....the tanks that have the lights on 24/7 are doing brilliantly, so are the fish. Works for me and mine. I was just adding my experience to the original posters question, take it or leave it.

It's a nice night light in the room. But I don't want to stress them if its not good. I also have a red led volcano bubbler in it that i bought yesterday. I guess that makes a nice night light instead. I dont really use the main lights however, just my blue led strip so I can enhance their 'glo', but I notice in the middle of the night they are still active, thanks for everyones input!

Most reactions

Back