Give me some 19dh water fish suggestions PLEASE!

ClownLurch

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
As per title.
19dh 340ppm 8.0ph.
120L-31G
765Lx315Wx550H. 30”x12”x22”.
i think silent cycles almost complete and despite months of fish pondering I’m still not 100% certain of which fish I’m opting for!
I don’t really want anyone over 2” but exceptions could be made. RO water is available but I’d prefer to wait a year or so before reducing down water when we may have a bigger tank if all goes well.
Ive a list of 26 or so fish as possibilities some aren’t very probable and won’t be suitable with others on the list. Final choice will of course be ran by your good selves as I don’t want to repeat my last ill advised by LFS venture of 23 years ago.
List:
Rainbowfish:
Celebes Rainbowfish
Forktail Blue Eye
Neon Blue Eye
Delicate Blue Eye

Ricefish:
Celebes
Indian
Javanese
Wolasi
Medaka

WCMM (difference?)
Vietnamese WCMM (difference?)

Endlers
Guppy
Platy

Paradise Fish
Spiketail Paradisefish
Florida Flagfish
Bloodfin Tetra
Glass Bloodfin Tetra
X ray Tetra
Wrestling Halfbeak
Black Bellied Lima
Least killifish
Tiger Teddy
Odessa Barb
Cherry Barb

Celestichthys Erythromicron (striped cousin of the CPD)

Im torn between:
a rainbowfish+one ricefish tank,
a red n black fish tank (it’s a football thing)
a non themed pick n mix tank.

Sorry for length of post and large number of questions.....you don’t have to answer em all but please please help me out in some way! I’d love extra suggestions that I’ve never heard of or forgotten.
plus what snails and shrimps are best in my water?

Thanks in advance even if only for getting right the way through to the end of the post.

You could try to cut your hardness with RO water like I do, it is a little more work at water changes. I only have to deal with 134ppm water (lake) but the local well water is at 224. I buy mine in 5 gallon jugs but you can buy a RO device for your home.

As far as cichlids go, there are the shell dwellers, like multifasciatus.

I saw you mentioned flagfish. You should only keep narrow bodied and fast swimming fish with them, since they are semi-aggressive and will nip fins if they can catch the fish. They are curious and very pretty, but I would only keep 1 male in a tank that size, with a harem of females.

You could always add salt and look at brackish fish.
I dont do brackish but its a thought. Maybe ask in the brackish forum?

As far as cichlids go, there are the shell dwellers, like multifasciatus.

I saw you mentioned flagfish. You should only keep narrow bodied and fast swimming fish with them, since they are semi-aggressive and will nip fins if they can catch the fish. They are curious and very pretty, but I would only keep 1 male in a tank that size, with a harem of females.
I’ve already ruled out flagfish and paradisefish for possible aggression reasons. Thanks anyway.

You could try to cut your hardness with RO water like I do, it is a little more work at water changes. I only have to deal with 134ppm water (lake) but the local well water is at 224. I buy mine in 5 gallon jugs but you can buy a RO device for your home.
I’ve an RO converter but that’s for a year or so down the line if we get a bigger tank. I’ll be quizzing everyone then!

Too big I’m afraid. Three months of looking and I’ve not seen any 2” or less.

Here are some...(some info are repeated) but different websites..

Here are some...(some info are repeated) but different websites..

Thanks. That’s a good read. Shelldwellers look great and interesting to keep but dont seem possible for us as we’re hoping to later keep Corys in a larger tank in ROd water alongside what we choose for this tank.
Maybe after multiple tank syndrome kicks in? Which I think it will as after nearly three months prep Im still torn between tank populations!

LOL... Fish keeping is addictive...

You will never have enough....

I have changed so many species of fish from South America, Africa, Asian, Central America, Australia, etc...

But finally, I think Discus is one of the best...

My advice :

1) Have a mix of varieties of fish - perhaps two different tanks for different continent of fish / different water requirements but require a lot of work.
Look for fish which require the same water parameter as your tap water will be better and reduce your work load.

2)Get a group of schooling fish and mix with some intelligent fish
- Schooling are the most interesting when you see them interacting with each other.
You can even get some small fish in big numbers - example Mosquito Rasboras.

3)Get some intelligent fish like Cichlids - they make the tanks interesting. They can respond to you better.

4)Most importantly, get some beautiful and unique fish such as .
- Apistogrammas
- Tanganyika Cichlids
- Killifish
- Discus

5)Create some beautiful aquascapings....
It's like having a river/stream in your house...
You can either use rocks formation or driftwoods formation or both.

6)You might want to consider some inverterbrates...

7) Lastly, learn about quarantining fish, sterilizing plants and how to treat fish diseases...

Most reactions

Back