Giant Plakats

Bristlenose1804

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi guys
I cant across a unusual plakat on aquabid.com and on closer inspection its turns out hes a giant plakat
Does anyone know anything bout them?
Do they require any special treatment.
Iv spoken to the ppl who is selling him and from what i can tell there just an unusual large plakat thats fed more food more often
Any help or suggestions anyone can give me on these would be great

I saw one here late last year from Kelson's Betta. A 5" or 6" marble guy. I guess they eat more and would requre at least a 2 gallon tank. The marble guy was at a fish show in a 8x4x8 tank :crazy: . He jumped out during the night and died :-(

I have a pair of giant marble plakats. They're beautiful! They each live in a 2 gallon tank and I feed them extra. They're still young, and when they grow a bit more, I'll move them into a divided 10 gallon.

i have 2 males and 1 female. they live in 5 and 7 gallon tanks...i cant imagine them in anything smaller. actually, i think they are half giants because they are only about 4 inches and from what i understand true giants are about 7 inches

i have 2 males and 1 female. they live in 5 and 7 gallon tanks...i cant imagine them in anything smaller. actually, i think they are half giants because they are only about 4 inches and from what i understand true giants are about 7 inches
7 inch giants are like 7 foot people, they are an anomaly. The norm is approximately 3.5" long.

Giant gene information for breeding

Giant 100% means the body is about 3.5" long
Giant 87.5% means the body is about 3" long
Giant 75% means the body is about 2.75" long
Giant 50% means the body is about 2.45" long
Giant 25% means the body is about 2.3" long

Giant 25% breed with Giant 25% will produce the maximum sized Giant 50% in (F1)
Giant 50% breed with Giant 50% will produce the maximum sized Giant 75% in (F2)
Giant 75% breed with Giant 75% will produce the maximum sized Giant 100% in (F3)
Giant 25% breed with Giant 75% will produce maximum sized Giant 100% of the time

(This data represents maturity and is approximate)

i've seen full giant listed at 7 inches and half giant at 3.5 inches in several places. jim sonnier's website is one of them:

http://www.bettas-jimsonnier.com/genetics7.htm

considering regular bettas approach 3.5 inches themselves, i wouldn't consider 3.5 inches "giant."
Why don't you ask Uncle Sara or Natee Ratanapichad as they are the father & son team who created the "giant" ? I've been to their farm and spoken with them many times and like I said before, a 7" giant is an anomaly. A giant plakat is approximately 3.5". The "giant" gene data was supplied by them after breeding hundreds of thousands of them and coming up with some statistical scientific data, not supposition as Jim Sonnier is providing.

if that's the case, then the existence of a giant betta seems to be wishful thinking. i certainly wouldnt consider the size difference between a regular betta and a 3.5 inch one to be sufficient to call it a "giant." of course, breeders call things whatever they want anyway. there is no standardization for such things.

As I stated, lying to make one's self look better is nothing more then self deprecation. Ask Watt where he sent his last box of 250 SD :hyper: ! Guess when your the largest importer/exporter of show quality bettas in North America people have to make up stories to try and bring ya down. Sadly, it won't work nor does it matter :fun: !

A 3.5" betta is pretty darn big, actually. Average adult bettas are ~2.5", and 1" doesn't sound like a big difference, but when you consider that it's more than 1/3rd of the length of the fish, you start to see how big they really are. I've seen a giant in person, and I assure you, it's not hard to spot the difference.

An I belive one of my females are half-giant. Most of you have seen that moster! :eek: :hey: :lol:

Most reactions

Back