ghost knife

ger87410

Fishaholic
Reaction score
We got a ghost knife in a 20H that I want to move to a 55 until it gets too big. Does it go good with an opaline gourami, tinfoil barbs, and clown loachs?

They're fairly sensitive to other fishes electrical fields so you'll need the minimum Ghost Knife requirements of a long plastic tube or something equal and plenty of places for it to hide.

I think it'll go fine with those but it might get aggressive if it can't get away from the field.

Ghost knifes get large 50cm+ and grow to as old as 50years i hear, thats why there the slowest growing fish out there. But when it gets larger it will eat your other fish, but relax thats about 10 years away :)

PS: Never ever put 2 ghosts in the same tank, they fught to there death witch doesnt take that long.

I wouldnt keep them with tinfoil barbs myself, tinfoils are far too fast and greedy to be kept with shy slow feeding fish like black ghost knifes but thas just my experience and opinion.

ghost knifes slow? dude, there one of the fastest fish out there by far, ever seen them snap at somthing, im not kidding you here, but if you were to blink you would miss it. its the fastest fish i have seen in the fresh water side.

I meant they are slow to come out to the food not they are slow feeders though i certainly wouldnt rank them as the fastest out there, fish like leaf fish and tiger datnoids which have protusile mouths leave them standing, blink and youve missed it. (and yes i have kept them all)

They are quick fsh, and they do get quite large. Not sure on their longevitity though. I wouldn't think they'll have a problem feeding though if you want to be on the safe side, drop the food directly near it so it can get to it before the other fish do.

Vip said:
Ghost knifes get large 50cm+ and grow to as old as 50years i hear, thats why there the slowest growing fish out there. But when it gets larger it will eat your other fish, but relax thats about 10 years away :)

PS: Never ever put 2 ghosts in the same tank, they fught to there death witch doesnt take that long.
:angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: u shout at me and my friend for having a bgk and a oscar ina 15+ gal but u just give him advice wich is wat we wanted. :angry: a 20 gal isnt much different to a 15=gal u know. :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry:

if i remember i didnt sy anything to you about the knife being in a small tank, but i do remember saying how slow they grow.

CFC, whats a datnoid, got a pic or info sounds cool.

Thanks for the quick replies everyone. I don't think that feeding is going to be an issue as the tinfoils eat brine shrimp, and nothing else. The loach eats shrimp pellets, and nothing else, and the upside down cat(moving soon now) eats only flakes and algae. For some reason the tinfoils are VERY picky eaters.

everything that cfc has said is gospel in my experience with them and one of the fastest fish i have ever seen is a snakehead when it comes to feeding.

but yes they are a nice fish i had mine in with a semi norm tank and it was fine good luck to you all :p

Bomag said:
and one of the fastest fish i have ever seen is a snakehead when it comes to feeding.
Yeah snakeheads are pretty quick, and they hit the food dam hard.

CFC said:
I meant they are slow to come out to the food not they are slow feeders though i certainly wouldnt rank them as the fastest out there, fish like leaf fish and tiger datnoids which have protusile mouths leave them standing, blink and youve missed it. (and yes i have kept them all)
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: so true i watched them at my lfs they were to fast for my liking -_- :p

i have 2 black knives and they don't fight that often. and i also have two fully grown tinfoils with them. the knives are very peaceful fish and won't bother the rest. i have various caves for them to hide in..

Most reactions

Back