Getting Some Frags .. Advise On These Please :)

Thanks everyone for the info .. i will do my best to get more info on the gorg before picking up. He did say it was photosynthetic so hopefully should be ok. Just wanted to pass the names over the forum for some advise :)

That's it now mate! Now you've got a gorg in there, Syth lord Sorgan will turn you to the dark salty side! lol

:) I love photosynthetic gorgs just as much as NPS... Well almost as much.

Afternoon :D i am picking the frags up at 2pm today B-) they will be travelling for around half an hour. Just looking for advise on how best to aclimatise them once i get them home?

I do it like follows.. Float the bag for 10 minutes, then open it and dip it briefly in the water, then close it up. Leave for 10minutes. Do the same until the bag is pretty much full.

BUT

There are loads of different ways. I've never had a problem but some people swear by other methods. As long as your water is added to theirs slowly, you should be fine! You can even add a small amount of water using a container to pour it in the bag every 10minutes.

I do it like follows.. Float the bag for 10 minutes, then open it and dip it briefly in the water, then close it up. Leave for 10minutes. Do the same until the bag is pretty much full.

BUT

There are loads of different ways. I've never had a problem but some people swear by other methods. As long as your water is added to theirs slowly, you should be fine! You can even add a small amount of water using a container to pour it in the bag every 10minutes.

I do the same way but I leave the bag for 30 min to get to tank temp and by using a pipette slowly squirt small amounts of tank water every 5 min for half hour or more.

But people have their own methods and swear by them and may disagree with others. I suppose no matter what way people do this someone else may disagree.

I'd go as far as saying there may not be a right or wrong way. So long as it is acclimitised in some way.

I'm not sure how this works for LPS or softies, but the best way to acclimate SPS is to hold them out of the water for ~30 seconds, dip them, and then put it straight into the tank. It is a very natural way. however you acclimate them, make sure to dip every coral you add to your tank before you put it in.

I'm not sure how this works for LPS or softies, but the best way to acclimate SPS is to hold them out of the water for ~30 seconds, dip them, and then put it straight into the tank. It is a very natural way. however you acclimate them, make sure to dip every coral you add to your tank before you put it in.

What the hell, I have never heard that before :blink:

I float for 30 min in the tank and then over the course of 1 or 2 hours put some tank water in the container every 5/10 mins.

Got the frags today but they didnt come in a bag and came in a plastic container instead .. i have no way of floating them so had to just add some water into them and then straight into the tank.. they seem to be extremely happy in the tank and have all opened up .. the gay gave me a rock cover in mushrooms aswell for free. Will get some pictures up tonight.. fighting my tank at the moment to get a skimmer to fit.

Got the frags today but they didnt come in a bag and came in a plastic container instead .. i have no way of floating them so had to just add some water into them and then straight into the tank.. they seem to be extremely happy in the tank and have all opened up .. the gay gave me a rock cover in mushrooms aswell for free. Will get some pictures up tonight.. fighting my tank at the moment to get a skimmer to fit.

If they've opened up straight away then take that as a good sign.

How about some pics of the beauties!

How's the human vs skimmer war goin? Lol

Never heard that way before?

Sorry but I can't see that being good for any coral! That would shock the hell out of it IMO.

I certainly can't see it being natural. No way of acclimatising is natural as it doesn't happen in nature. Unless god comes down from heaven with an almighty frag the size of a small country and just drops it in the ocean! Lol

Maybe that's why there was a tsunami?

God was adding a complete new reef of lps coral for all us greedy buggers to add to our tanks! Lol

Know it sounds horrible but can you imagine how much properly cured LR would've got washed up on the shores of japan!

the gay gave me a rock cover in mushrooms aswell for free.

This tickled me! I assume you mean guy!! :lol:

I hate it when people use containers! You can only do what you can though mate, and if they're opened fully then fantastic! I must say i cringed at the thought of the torch going in like that. I dropped a torch frag once into my tank with out acclimitising it, it died within 4 hours!! :(

Would be wicked to see some pictures!! What ebay seller was it out of curiousity, good to know a decent seller. I found 2 fantastic sellers on ebay, ones called allacquaticscouk and rare_oceans, they'll great if you need anything!

Lewis

I didnt get them off a seller Lewis, i just got them off somebody who was breaking there tank down. I was buying his skimmer and he mentioned he had some frags i could have for cheap so i took them :)

I have been cutting away at my tank etc.. all day to get my new deltec skimmer to fit my tank.. i ended up scraping the wall and flakes of paint and wall fell in the tank :blink: i syphoned out what i could but im scared i might have missed some and when it dissolves i will have problems with my water :-( just have to cross my fingers and hope the water stays ok.

So anyway some pics for you all :) not the best quality

Here is the torch
hhhhhhhhhh.jpg

Here is the mushrooms i wasnt expecting but have found a nice spot for them
photo-3.jpg

And here is the gorg .. any help on which gorg would be nice so i know how to care for it best .. when i first put it in it was very thin and twig like but within 10 minutes or so it had come out to play :D
kkkkkkkk.jpg

Will get a pic of the kenya tree up asap .. camera died before i could get a pic.

Im hoping they look good to everybody and healthy as i am new to all this and taking baby steps :lol:

i would say that is likely to be Eunicea succinea and that torch frag doesnt look like a torch to me.... more like euphyllia cristata

i would say that is likely to be Eunicea succinea and that torch frag doesnt look like a torch to me.... more like euphyllia cristata

Im guessing the guy i got it off was maybe mis-sold it then.. is it a difficult coral to keep Sorgan?

Most reactions

Back