Getting Some Frags .. Advise On These Please :)

Chris_C

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am buying a skimmer of somebody and have been offered 3 frags for £5 which seems a bargain to me. Just wanted to know if these corals are easy for me to keep in my new tank.

Torch Coral
Kenya Tree
Cream Gorgonia

Any advise welcomed :)

3 for £5? Thats sounds sweet to me. Kenya Tree is a small coral, should be pretty easy to care for. Torch is an LPS but should be okay. I dont know much about the Gorg, Sorgan is your man for that!

HTH

3 for £5? Thats sounds sweet to me. Kenya Tree is a small coral, should be pretty easy to care for. Torch is an LPS but should be okay. I dont know much about the Gorg, Sorgan is your man for that!

HTH

Thanks James :good: Sorgan did come to mind when making the topic haha. I wasnt going to have many corals to start off with just have some xenia frags at the moment due to being new to the marine world, but £5 for the 3 seems a bargain and even if i am unsuccessful with them i have only lost £5.

Just want to make sure i'm not taking on anything which requires expert care or anything people think i should avoid as a newbie.

The torch and Kenya tree are photosynthetic so don't require feeding although they will benefit from reef feed regularly.
They're also easy coral to keep for beginners so go for it mate.

As for the gorg, ask sorgan as he is the gorg god!

Well the torch and kenya tree will definetely be okay, just keep parameters in check as with all corals and you'll be all good.

I done a quick search and found this:

http://reefworks.co.uk/shop/gorgonian-cream/

Seems it is easy to keep and is photosynthetic, making it an easier to care for variety.

Hope that helps, Cheers.

Thanks guys :good: i am more at ease now :) i will await the arrival of sorgan for more info on the gorg B-)

A Torch Coral - good coral to have, likes high to medium lights, when choosing it make's sure none of it's skeleton is showing. Like the zig zag bit under or in between the fleshy heads. Medium flow. Will sting other corals with sweepers so be careful where you place it. Needs mag and cal in the water and have good quality water.

A gorg - what kind? Ultimately a hard coral to care for without dedication. They are azoox corals which Darth Sogan is the leader of. You need to feed these regularly, and cosistantly, they mainly eat photoplankton, marine snow (type product), eggs (oyster, lobster, etc), rofters, and the list goes on!! But they are lovely to have and come in amazing colours. They need strong flow (most important) to stimulate the polyps which will expand, and have no lighting requirements. Healthy ones should be full bodied, no die off, which normally in gorgs looks like wire coming from the flesh at the top. If polyps aren't extended, it's not the end of the world, with the right treatment you should be able to coax the polyps out!!

Just to add, if you can feed regularly then go for it! They're aren't hard persay but need feeding regularly.

No experience with Kenya Tree coral, I know they're easy and need low/medium lights but that's as far as my knowledge goes!!

Join the dark side!!

A Torch Coral - good coral to have, likes high to medium lights, when choosing it make's sure none of it's skeleton is showing. Like the zig zag bit under or in between the fleshy heads. Medium flow. Will sting other corals with sweepers so be careful where you place it. Needs mag and cal in the water and have good quality water.

A gorg - what kind? Ultimately a hard coral to care for without dedication. They are azoox corals which Darth Sogan is the leader of. You need to feed these regularly, and cosistantly, they mainly eat photoplankton, marine snow (type product), eggs (oyster, lobster, etc), rofters, and the list goes on!! But they are lovely to have and come in amazing colours. They need strong flow (most important) to stimulate the polyps which will expand, and have no lighting requirements. Healthy ones should be full bodied, no die off, which normally in gorgs looks like wire coming from the flesh at the top. If polyps aren't extended, it's not the end of the world, with the right treatment you should be able to coax the polyps out!!

Just to add, if you can feed regularly then go for it! They're aren't hard persay but need feeding regularly.

No experience with Kenya Tree coral, I know they're easy and need low/medium lights but that's as far as my knowledge goes!!

Join the dark side!!

All i was told is that it is a Cream Gorgonia. Being new to marine i have started with the basics of levels (ph/amm/nitrite/nitrate) When you say the torch needs mag and calcium is that something naturally in the water through the salt added etc or do you have to dose it?

It is in the salt, you shoudlnt have the need to add it yet. Cal and Mag levels will be all up to scratch if you have a low coral stock and keep up with regualr water changes. When its being depleted the water changes will bring them up. Shouldnt be anything to worry about aslong as you keep on top of your weekly water changes.

See if you can get the latin name for the Gorg.

+1 to what James said. If you use a good salt then it should be ok, but if you increase LPS stock then you may need to check. Just remember for future if you Get anymore.

They use calcium to grow and develop their skeleton, so any coral with a hard skeleton type shell will need calcium. :good:

Have you seen it?

Try googling rumphella spp. (think that's the spelling) it's the only one I can think of thats cream BUT I don't know many gorgonians and there are Tons!! :D

Ok a few things.. If it's polyps are the same color as it's flesh then it's likely photosynthetic

And most of the time they do not require calcium, their skeleton Is made from a horny substance known as gorgonin.
Get a picture and I will try to I'd it.

+1 to what James said. If you use a good salt then it should be ok, but if you increase LPS stock then you may need to check. Just remember for future if you Get anymore.

They use calcium to grow and develop their skeleton, so any coral with a hard skeleton type shell will need calcium. :good:

Have you seen it?

Try googling rumphella spp. (think that's the spelling) it's the only one I can think of thats cream BUT I don't know many gorgonians and there are Tons!! :D

I've not seen it yet unfortunately :( its somebody on ebay closing a tank down. I will just have to post a pick once i pick them up and if it is one not suited to a newbie i will pass it onto somebody on here who is local or take it to my local LFS.

Ok a few things.. If it's polyps are the same color as it's flesh then it's likely photosynthetic

And most of the time they do not require calcium, their skeleton Is made from a horny substance known as gorgonin.

Didnt think it would be long until you pop up bud. I didnt know that about the skeleton, as they say 'every day is a school day' lol.

I might even consider picking up a photosynthetic gorg, what would you suggest mate?

Have you seen it?

I've not seen it yet unfortunately :( its somebody on ebay closing a tank down. I will just have to post a pick once i pick them up and if it is one not suited to a newbie i will pass it onto somebody on here who is local or take it to my local LFS.

When are you picking it up? Any chance of asking the person first? ie, if they know the latin name and/or if it is photosynthetic or needs heavy feeding.

For a fiver it's worth s go and if the gorg is NPS it just means I have another convert

Sorry if o am bit much use ATM but I am very very drunk.

Btw for photosynthetics go for Eunicea, Pterogorgia or Muricea.

I actually didn't know that!! Very interesting!!

Calcium bit was about the Torch!! :good:

Glad I'm not the only one posting whose smashed!!

Most reactions

Back