Getting Back Into Fishkeeping After A Disastrous First Attempt. Need S

First, Welcome to TFF!

Seccond, sorry about that rough start :/. I had a tank like that when I was nine. Fish were dropping constantly.

Your daughter seems so cute! I thunk she will love the new fish tank. I just got a 15 gallon for my betta. Currently Im doing a fish in cycle and have lost one fish. My betta is patiently waiting for the tank though :p

I hope your nitrites drop down. If you are confused about the amount, just post a picture of the vile next to the color card and we can help you out.

Lots of people on here know what they are doing more than me, so I wont give much advice, but I will follow this thread!

EllieJellyEllie said:
First, Welcome to TFF!

Seccond, sorry about that rough start
confused.gif
. I had a tank like that when I was nine. Fish were dropping constantly.

Your daughter seems so cute! I thunk she will love the new fish tank. I just got a 15 gallon for my betta. Currently Im doing a fish in cycle and have lost one fish. My betta is patiently waiting for the tank though
tongue2.gif

I hope your nitrites drop down. If you are confused about the amount, just post a picture of the vile next to the color card and we can help you out.

Lots of people on here know what they are doing more than me, so I wont give much advice, but I will follow this thread!

Thank you Ellie :)

Sorry to hear about your fish.

Yep she's a good kid, too good for her own good sometimes lol. We are both nowadays watching lots of youtube vids of different fish that we might like to bring home. Then i go research them. She is falling in love with bettas but as we can only have one betta in a tank, she's weighing her options ;) Good thing is she's getting excited about fish once again.

I was also thinking about posting pics of the test tubes coz after today's test i can't really say for sure if the nitrite is 5ppm or 1ppm. There is so little difference between those 2 colours on the chart. We need em to drop considerably so i shouldnt have problem reading the colours below 1ppm :)

Cheers.

Post them if you want, I have found all the opinions really help.

Maybe once you get your 110 litre set up you can get a 20-25 litre and use media from the 110 litre to cycle it in 1 or 2 weeks. Then you can give her the betta as a gift, but make sure you will care for it if she loses intrest :D

Once you get one tank set up you cant wait for the others to be set up. Im not even done cycling my 15 gallon, and I want to use the 10 gallon from the hermit crabs. lol

Thanks Ellie

I too want the betta tank ;)

And yes you are absolutely spot on about the multiple tank syndrome. I nevier thought i'd get it but here you go. 

Will wait for this tank first. Gain some experience and hopefully we'll be on our way.

DIdnt need to take pics of test tubes as ammonia and nitrite this morning were both 0 
yes.gif

So added 2ppm ammonia again and will test for everything when i get back from work.

I guess i am nearly cycled.

Exciting times ahead. I will post pics of my tank, redmoor wood etc later.

Hopefully you get a double 0 test reading, then it will be time to go find a betta :D

tunagirll said:
Hopefully you get a double 0 test reading, then it will be time to go find a betta
biggrin.png

Got that double 0 reading 
yahoo.gif

I think thats the cycle finished. 

Will do 80% water change this evening and then on to aquascaping :)

I want to set it up properly before getting the fish. 

Will be asking loads of questions now. Hopefully i'll get there with everybody's help.

Congratulations! I loved that feeling when we finally got there. Now for the fun part of choosing your fish. Well done the patience pays off :)

Good job! :)  Now comes the fun part!  Looking forward to pics
photo.gif

Emeraldjones said:
Congratulations! I loved that feeling when we finally got there. Now for the fun part of choosing your fish. Well done the patience pays off
smile.png

Thank you
smile.png
Totally agree. Never thought looking at a colour chart could make you that happy lol

daizeUK said:
Good job!
smile.png
  Now comes the fun part!  Looking forward to pics
photo.gif

Cheers Daize. Must thank you as i probably would have struggled big time without your help. Thank you once again, You are a star
wink.png

Edit : Will post a couple of pics tonight 

Readings :

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10ppm
Ph 7.1
Water temp 28c

First attempt :

Second :

Only got one plant for now. Java Flame attached to the base of the wood on the right with some fishing line.

I am thinking of changing the marine/purple light with either another white t5 or a blue t5. 

Any suggestions welcome. I have no idea where to put my plants!

Looks awesome!  Some lovely bits of redmoor you've got there, where did you get them?
I'm shopping for redmoor atm too :)

I would try building up the sand very slightly at the base of each 'tree' so they are on a slight mound, then try arranging the stones around the base of each tree.  This can quite often give a very natural attractive effect.
My initial planting thoughts would be java fern attached to the base of each tree, perhaps a narrow leaf or mini variety so that the trees are not lost in a mass of fern, then a few anubias petite on the lower branches and finbally moss attached further up on the upper branches.  That's the kind of plan I've got for my next scape anyway so I'm biased ;)

Then crypts around the base of each tree, eleocharis in the foreground, your vallis in the background but leave a central 'path' which will be a bare area between the two.  Possibly try to curve or offset the path from centre so that it leads the eye naturally.

Those are just my ideas, it's your tank so you have fun arranging!

I agree about the light, personally I think plants look better under a full spectrum light which will bring out the greens.  My choice would be a sunlight T5, something like this if you want a cheap brand:  http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/860-and-865-Daylight_11

That looks lovely already! Can't wait to see what it looks like in the end :) Sorry if you've already said anything on this subject but how about a background?

daizeUK said:
Looks awesome!  Some lovely bits of redmoor you've got there, where did you get them?
I'm shopping for redmoor atm too
smile.png

I would try building up the sand very slightly at the base of each 'tree' so they are on a slight mound, then try arranging the stones around the base of each tree.  This can quite often give a very natural attractive effect.
My initial planting thoughts would be java fern attached to the base of each tree, perhaps a narrow leaf or mini variety so that the trees are not lost in a mass of fern, then a few anubias petite on the lower branches and finbally moss attached further up on the upper branches.  That's the kind of plan I've got for my next scape anyway so I'm biased
wink.png

Then crypts around the base of each tree, eleocharis in the foreground, your vallis in the background but leave a central 'path' which will be a bare area between the two.  Possibly try to curve or offset the path from centre so that it leads the eye naturally.

Those are just my ideas, it's your tank so you have fun arranging!

I agree about the light, personally I think plants look better under a full spectrum light which will bring out the greens.  My choice would be a sunlight T5, something like this if you want a cheap brand:  http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/860-and-865-Daylight_11

Thanks
smile.png

Got the wood from Thegreenmachineonline.com Link : http://www.thegreenmachineonline.com/shop/aquatics/d-cor-materials/redmoor-root-wood-individual-pieces

I spent a lot of hours looking online before buying this wood!

Thank you for the ideas Daize, I will rearrange some of the stuff and and post pics here. Also waiting for a couple of large tall slate pieces to be delivered. Ordered it on ebay but i think the guy did a runner after receiving the payment
sad.png

How do i plant Vallis ? Do i leave the roots a little bit exposed or bury them right in ?

About light. Thanks for the link but i doubt any of those will fit the juwel head. I got a spare t8 white and blue one i think but thats only 17watt each if i remember correctly (these ones are 24watt). How much light is enough for few vallis and different mosses in a 110 litre ?

What do you mean by a sunlight T5? White ones? or are there specifically called sunlight T5's. Can't find them in Juwel's stock.

I will dig those spare lights and replace the purplish one with another white and see what i get/ I "really" don't like this colour i have now.

Sorry about all the questions
biggrin.png

Ninjouzata said:
That looks lovely already! Can't wait to see what it looks like in the end
smile.png
Sorry if you've already said anything on this subject but how about a background?

Thats very reassuring. Thanking you. Lot of work to be done yet me think. I did at one point thought about getting a black Juwel 3D background but its quite chunky and would have eaten on the volume of water from the tank. Didnt wanna rob fishies off their swimming space :)

I am however thinking about hanging a black cloth/paper behind it on the wall. Any thoughts on that?  The tank is sitting in a neat little space in the corner. Fits perfectly.

Indeed what I was thinking was something to put on the back of the tank, not inside it :)
You can get a regular black background or do as you said, lots of people use trash bags, much cheaper and still looks nice!
I'm not sure how hard it's going to be for you to get behind the tank though.

Yeah I was browsing TGM for wood last night too!  I went out today and spent £50 on wood and rocks at a nearby LFS.  No redmoor though, TGM and Aquaessentials are the only places I know who sell it.

Don't bury vallis too deep, keep the roots buried and the crown at the surface.

I thought you replaced your lighting with 24 watt T5's?   I meant daylight T5 sorry, that's what the bulbs are called as they sit around 6,500K colour temperature which is similar to broad daylight.  If you take a look at this page http://www.lampspecs.co.uk/Light-Bulbs-Tubes/24-Watt-549mm you can see that they sell the same size bulbs in different colours, warm white, cool white, daylight etc.  With Juwel bulbs you could combine one of their 'day' bulbs at 9000K and a 'nature' bulb at 4000K to get a very nice effect.  They're better quality but more expensive.

Most reactions

Back