German Blue Rams Compatible?

dannyboi91

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
hi i saw a pair of small german blue rams today and was wondering
1. how big they get??? (want to keep them in a rio 240)
2.are they compatible in a community tank including livebearers angels and corys
3. anything else i need to know

they prefer high temps (27c-30c) and soft acidic water

....so probably not compatible with your current stock.

Mmm... You keep angels (soft water fish) with livebearers (hard water fish)?

GBRs need very soft and warm water to thrive. Temperature-wise, we're talking 27 to 30 Celsius, and hardness-wise, I wouldn't keep them in anything more than 10gh wich is way too soft for livebearers.

If you REALLY want rams, if I were you I'd re-think my population and remove the livebearers and slowly soften the water using RO water in water changes until you reach the desired hardness.

Another warning, they are chiclids, like the angels, and that means aggressive and territorial. Think carefully about the numbers.

What is your current full population?
Is the tank planted?
What filtering do you have?

Mmm... You keep angels (soft water fish) with livebearers (hard water fish)?

GBRs need very soft and warm water to thrive. Temperature-wise, we're talking 27 to 30 Celsius, and hardness-wise, I wouldn't keep them in anything more than 10gh wich is way too soft for livebearers.

If you REALLY want rams, if I were you I'd re-think my population and remove the livebearers and slowly soften the water using RO water in water changes until you reach the desired hardness.

Another warning, they are chiclids, like the angels, and that means aggressive and territorial. Think carefully about the numbers.

What is your current full population?
Is the tank planted?
What filtering do you have?
in my rio 240 i have 2 smallish angels, 5 mollies, 3 swordtails,2 guppys, 2 corys and a small plec
my tank is sort of an rspca tank with fish that i took on from ppl i knew as they were selling their tank, fish was getting bullied etc.
need to sort the numbers out and decide what i want to keep

in my rio 240 i have 2 smallish angels, 5 mollies, 3 swordtails,2 guppys, 2 corys and a small plec
my tank is sort of an rspca tank with fish that i took on from ppl i knew as they were selling their tank, fish was getting bullied etc.

Ok, if you want to go for the rams I'd say that you should rehome mollies, swordtails and guppies, maybe keep them in another tank.

Get at least four more corys of the same species as they are shoaling fish. If you can get their numbers to 10 that would be great.

Get another couple of angels. They too are group fish, but I wouldn't get any more, as you'd be pushing it.

In such a setup I believe you'd be able to have six rams.

Remember, they are soft water fish, so start doing water changes (after removing the livebearers) with pure RO water until you reach the desired hardness, don't hurry it, be patient, it may take up to seven or eight water changes, depending on your schedule. The rams are common fish, and they will be there at the store waiting for you.

If your tank planted?

What kind of cories do you have? Some cories prefer cooler temperatures than what is desirable for GBRs. They should be okay with the angelfish. I have mine iwth angelfish and so fr no problems

Ok, if you want to go for the rams I'd say that you should rehome mollies, swordtails and guppies, maybe keep them in another tank.

Get at least four more corys of the same species as they are shoaling fish. If you can get their numbers to 10 that would be great.

Get another couple of angels. They too are group fish, but I wouldn't get any more, as you'd be pushing it.

In such a setup I believe you'd be able to have six rams.

Remember, they are soft water fish, so start doing water changes (after removing the livebearers) with pure RO water until you reach the desired hardness, don't hurry it, be patient, it may take up to seven or eight water changes, depending on your schedule. The rams are common fish, and they will be there at the store waiting for you.

If your tank planted?
ok will have to put some thought into it and probably buy a RO unit
and yes my tank is planted

Dieses does have a point, what cories are they?

Mmm.. I'd say that the lower limit for rams is the upper limit for your corys. Definitely far from ideal :no:

You might want to consider other cory species, or give up on rams altogether.

Most reactions

Back