Gay Fish?

no you dont get gay fish?

I beg to differ on that one...I've seen it with my own eyes in my tank.

How can you make such a definate answer anyway? :blink:
quite easily, male guppy will try to have sex with whatever stays still long enough, they are little hormone machines, this doesnt make them gay, infact it makes them bi-sexual more than anything, so gay dont come into it really :rolleyes: who really cares, its not like our gunna get homophobic fish and find that one day theres a definate split down the middle of your tank, with both sides throwing insults at eachother, and the next MARDI GRAS being planned. :hyper:

I think its crazy that in this day and age someone thinks a fish to be gay...
Animals do not exhibit homosexuality in the wild nor in our aquariums.
Only humans, who do not know any better.
Hey....... that's a bit harsh isn't it? Oh well, I guess lots of different opinions make life interesting. :blink:

more like this person doesnt have a clue about what they are talking about, monkeys, apes, even dolphins show homosexuality tendancies. i think it was just a slight jab at this group of people, but this person couldnt be direct as to offend some of this forum members with the risk of being banned for discrimination.

I think its due to a lack of knowledge that someone can turn round and suggest that homosexuality doesn't occur in the wild.
Macaque females are known for homosexual behaviour as a means of moving up the social ranks.
Bonobos on the other hand are notorious for sex in pretty much every viable combination....
Use your imagination, i don't think details are suitable for this forum.
Either way to claim homosexuality is a product of the supposed human 'condition' perhaps avoids the facts of nature.

Just googled quickly and according to various sites a few of the other animals that engage in homosexual behaviour/practice are;
Sheep, dolphins, various species of bird, giraffes, various sea mammals, big horn sheep.
The list appears to be endless.....

I think its due to a lack of knowledge that someone can turn round and suggest that homosexuality doesn't occur in the wild.
Macaque females are known for homosexual behaviour as a means of moving up the social ranks.
Bonobos on the other hand are notorious for sex in pretty much every viable combination....
Use your imagination, i don't think details are suitable for this forum.
Either way to claim homosexuality is a product of the supposed human 'condition' perhaps avoids the facts of nature.

Just googled quickly and according to various sites a few of the other animals that engage in homosexual behaviour/practice are;
Sheep, dolphins, various species of bird, giraffes, various sea mammals, big horn sheep.
The list appears to be endless.....
:good: :good: :good:.... BIG HORN SHEEP LOL thats a good one, wonder what the attraction is? hehehehe

more like this person doesnt have a clue about what they are talking about, monkeys, apes, even dolphins show homosexuality tendancies. i think it was just a slight jab at this group of people, but this person couldnt be direct as to offend some of this forum members with the risk of being banned for discrimination.
I actually thought of adding to my earlier post that i have read that some dolphins engage in *ahem* "blowhole intercourse"..... don't want to get into the realms of the socially inappropriate though, kids may be reading this..... :blush:

=======================================

Actaully theres a recent study on the increase in lesbianism in female koalas. A good portion of females will turn down a strong male to have "intercourse" with another female. But I doubt something as primitive as a fish can be homosexual. I believe that that is something only mammals posess.

=======================================

Actaully theres a recent study on the increase in lesbianism in female koalas. A good portion of females will turn down a strong male to have "intercourse" with another female. But I doubt something as primitive as a fish can be homosexual. I believe that that is something only mammals posess.
Amazed that female koalas have the energy to have sex with no chance of reproduction. They are sooooooo lazy! Maybe the males can't stay awake long enough to.... :blush:

quote]
Amazed that female koalas have the energy to have sex with no chance of reproduction. They are sooooooo lazy! Maybe the males can't stay awake long enough to.... :blush:
[/quote]
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :fun: well if its free!!!!!!!!!!!

I think it has to be pointed out for the purpose of definiton that homosexual behaviour does not make a homosexual animal.
The 2 things are completely different however closely linked, homosexuality also takes place amongst certain insect species.
Just because a fish engages in homosexual activity doesn't mean you have a specifically 'gay' fish, there will be some basis in nature for their behaviour and they will almost certainly take part in heterosexual activity as well.

Actually, I think a lot of bird species are notorious for being flamingly homosexual, hahaha. So not just nonprimative animals, I'd say. And besides, with most more primative animals, they don't have intercourse, so we honestly may not notice them being "gay". My severums have been trying to breed with each other for AGES, I think they're both female though.

Oh. And I know wikipedia isn't incredibly reliable at points... but here.
Some animals that have homosexualbehavior, note that fishies are on the list. xP
Some things on animal homosexuality

Have fun!

Whether other animals are homosexual, fish probably aren't. I imagine they don't have enough brains to grasp more than basic understanding, instinct, and recognition and probably just rely on their sexual preference by instinct.

Most reactions

Back