Garbo's DIY Fluidised bed filter.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

do you have a size guide atall?

eg what sort of size for what size tank?

I like the idea of having seperate bio and mechanical, then i can happily go mad cleaning the poop and plants out and not have to worry about the bacteria :)

Great post Garbo!!! :rolleyes: :) :kewlpics:

I have heard that if you place a layer of small particle gravel in the bottom of the filter bed, so that the inlet opening is in the gravel, not the sand, that this increases the flow and makes it easier to start the water flow through the system. The sand layer simply sits on top of the gravel. The water then flows through the gravel and then up through the sand. Because the gravel has a heavier particle weight, it will stay at the bottom in a fluidized bed.

I have not tried this (yet), but it makes sense in theory.

abolutally u can put gravel in it and it starts up better i didnt with mine but sometimes i wish i had as it can be a pain to get started again after a blackout or something.

as a guide it realy could be anything as it would depend on how many fish u had how big ur tank is and how big your pump is.
write back with your tank specs and i will have an aproximate guide.

cheers.
alex

thats an awesome tut.

well done.

Where in oz r u im in melb.
Any idea where i should look for the 100mm clear poly.
Im in the start of building a custom tank 8x3x2 what size fluidised would i need?

im in sydney and i luckly get my plastic pipe from uni but i have been quaoted at plastic shops. their like suppliers um try looking plastics up in the yellow pages. the plastic is a bit expensive and u can only get it in 2m lengths for 90 mm diameter piping it was about 80 - 90 $. so in an 8 ft by 3 by 2 you could cut it in half and have two flowing into your sump or go halves with someone for the plastic. but 1m length one should do a tank that size. with other filtration as well of couse.

check that ur storm water fittings will fit the tubing and youll be right

alex

Does the tube have to be clear? I suppose it would make it easy to spot any troubles, but I imagine you could use PVC instead.... a much cheaper alternative.

any thoughts?

Most reactions

Back