Garbo's DIY Fluidised bed filter.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

garbodude

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
g'day everyone

this is a cool site and this is also my first post. a brief history of myself- im 23 have been keeping a range of aquariums from marine to temerate marines and cichlids over the last 10 years. i love the hobie as you can always learn in my last three tanks ive realised that it is cheaper and also often better to build things yourself.

the main thing about filtration systems is to learn the basics behind them.

there are two main types of filtration - mechanical and biological (although in nearly all mechanical filters there will be biological action) these filters can be used in turtle tanks and say gold fish and betta thant actually dont requires much done to the water except a water change. the could be filterwool or sponge and mainly pick up muck.

biological filtration is much more important, as it uses microbes to change compounds that may harm fish into substances that do not - it is not filtering out the bad chemicals but changing them. u can buy packs that remove chemicals but these are expensive and with a good bio filter and regular water changes u shouldnt have to.

the main chemical that is harmful to fish is amonia- NH3 this is a toxic chemical that is excreated by fish. it is a result of nitrates and nitrites being in foods that u feed fish- through the fishes motabolisium amonia is produced. nitrofying bacteria convert amonia to nitrite (wich is still harmfull but not as bad.) then different nitrofying bacteria change the nitrites to nitrates (relitavly harmless).

so thats the basics of filtration and nearly all filters - except protien skimmers and uv sterilisers etc.. work this way

the reason for the vast array of different shapes sizes and prices is due to the way bacteria live and function, (or the companies ar just trying to make them asthetically pleasing). - the way bacteria function at their optimal efficiency is on surfaces - the surface of the water, sand, rocks glass. so combining this knowlage with what we know about nitrofying bacteria, the best biological filter would be some sort of surface with a large surface area to volume ratio and have aquarium water flowing over it.(in the next tank i am going to use astro turf but thats a different story)

now weve finally got to what a fluidised bed filter is- (sorry if i sounded like a wanker its just that i figured id explain the theory if people didnt know)

u may have seen them in the stores as they are just a plastic tube with sand inside them. and that is exactly what they are, and dispite their simplicity they are extreamly effective. now what would have a huge surface area to volume ratio.. = sand but it cannot be sand in a tube as they would get clogged and it would take a massive pump to push the water against the resistance. what the fluidised bed filter does is hold the sand in suspension - therfore creating no channels and no resistance.

TO BUILD ONE: is probably the easiest part of this whole post.

u will need.

1. Clear acrilic pipe - buy stuf that is the same diamiter as standard stormwater fittings as it is easier mine is 100mm and about 50cm long .

2. two end caps- stormwater stuff (hardware or plumbing place.)

3. 15mm poly pipe extension that has a male thread and a gaskit- needs to be almost asw long as your tube mine would be 49 cm u get it see pic.

4. 15mm poly pipe extension with male thread and gaskit can be shorter as you will be cutting it off just below the gaskit.

5 two female elbows with spur connections on one side.

6 some sand

7 silicone sealant

8 irrigation polly pipe 15mm they sell them in 20m rols for 7$ in australia

9 pump, mine is 1000 litres an hour brought at bunnings for 20$

ok almost ready.
ill be back in a sec.

i apoligise i have photos and drawings that i want to put up and i cant figure out how.i will reply soon though.

post-22-1088490956.jpg

this is the diagram hopfully man it a bit complicated.

step one buy the clear pipe, this will probably be the most expensive bit approximatly 80-100$ for 2 m this is enough for 4 filters but they dont sell them any shorter where i looked. get the bottom cap check it fits .

drill 2 holes that the male thread will fit through but the gaskit will not in the top cap one in the centre and one off centre so that the gaskits can be screwen down without touching each other.

cut one extension off below the gaskit - not interfering with any of the gaskit area

the other extension u must cut about 1 cm above the bottom cap

now you basically screw the male thread into the female. the gaskit will get comperssed - dont over tighen or you will damage the gaskit.

then u silicone the top in place sticky tape it in so it wont move.

now u add the sand to the top -make sure u put sticky tape over the short pipe fill to about a third or a quarter- not too much as when u turn the pump on it will flow out as the sand rises quite a bit.

silicone the bottom on and wait 48 hours

connect the pump using poly pipe - black looks much neater. and connect the exit pipe- using spured elbows etc..

post-22-1088490773.jpg

this is what your filter should kinda look like. the way i hold it on to the side of the tank is by using an ordanary storm water clip with hooks and rubber in between to help it grip but anything could work.

dont forget to clean the sand u can do this in the bath, by filling the bath up running the pump and changing the bath water 4-5 time over 12 hours.

there is one thing that i should try and explain.. when the sand has settled it is very compact, so often the pump cannot push the sand into suspension. what u do is get the hose on relitivly hard (this is for the first time) stick it in the pump end - not back to front - that realy stuffs things up. and hopefully it will blow the sand that could be stuck in the pipe out. u may have to tilt the tub up to a 80 degree angle, just make sure the sand doesnt go flying out then righten it and it will work fine.

once uve done it once its a peice of cake, if u ever turn it off u will have to do this with the pump on at the tank.

post-22-1088490577.jpg

there u have it. a biological filter that u dont have to clean that has a surface area the size of a tennis court that could handle a lot of fish

make sure u have another filter to pick up the crap -mechanical filtration. as u can see in my tank the bucket on top is filled with filter wool and foam and has 1500l pumping through it but thats a different thread. DIY is the way to go it cost me 70$ including the pump to build is larger then the ones u buy and if u were to buy it u would be looking at at least 300-400$

i hope this helps someone.
cheers garbo.

hey guys

the parts all to gather cost:

1. Clear acrilic pipe about 50cm long . try and find off cuts - should be about 20$ for 100mm diamiter or in australia it was 100$ for 2m - which is dear but you could make 4 or 2 massive filters.

2. two end caps- stormwater stuff (hardware or plumbing place.)- 2$

3. 15mm poly pipe extension that has a male thread and a gaskit- needs to be almost asw long as your tube mine would be 49 cm u get it see pic. mine was expensive as i needed to attach 3 togather to ge the right leangth- 12$ for me but should be able to finsd one for 5$

4. 15mm poly pipe extension with male thread and gaskit can be shorter as you will be cutting it off just below the gaskit. 3$

5 two female elbows with spur connections on one side. 2$

6 some sand n/a

7 silicone sealant N\a or 2$

8 irrigation polly pipe 15mm they sell them in 20m rols for 7$ in australia

9 pump, mine is 1000 litres an hour brought at bunnings for 20$

so all up it would cost between 67$ and 97$ australian depending on how much the clear acrilic pipe costs.

not all that much for a great filter.

see ya later.
garbo.

Nice filter with great plans. This one goes on my things to build list.

Tolak

DannyBoy17 said:
How do these work?

--Dan
go stand in the corner :D

Is a biological filter...
the bacteria build up on the sand surface.
a lot of sand = a lot of surface area = a lot of bacteria.

hey dan just read the first post as i thought i was pretty clear in my explination.

sand doesnt flow into the tank as the pump pushes the sand up and when it reaches a certain point it begins to fall u want this level to be about 3" below the top of the filter. easy to adjust i the bath to begin take sand out if to high or add if too low.

al

Most reactions

Back