Galaxy Rasbora

tanyauk

Reaction score
Hi guys! Has anyone got this fish? Do they look that nice and bright in reallity as well as on pics?
I would like to get some but I can't find them, do you know any shop that sells them in Midlands UK? thank you

I would leave getting Galaxy Rasboras for a while at least till they will take flake foods and dried/frozen food. Currently from what ive read they will only eat live foods and are very picky about water etc.

Plus there is the current cost of the fish themselves...Im sure someone one here bought some and they were about £8 each, which isnt a lot but considering they are a shoaling fish it mounts up when you realise you need at least 6 of them. Give it a while at least till they become more well known and available...being such a new fish to the trade id say they are def not for beginner keepers.

I would leave getting Galaxy Rasboras for a while at least till they will take flake foods and dried/frozen food. Currently from what ive read they will only eat live foods and are very picky about water etc.

Plus there is the current cost of the fish themselves...Im sure someone one here bought some and they were about £8 each, which isnt a lot but considering they are a shoaling fish it mounts up when you realise you need at least 6 of them. Give it a while at least till they become more well known and available...being such a new fish to the trade id say they are def not for beginner keepers.

Agreed. They sound like tricky fish to keep, I'm not sure they're "plug and play" like a lot of other small shoaling fish. They seem from what I've heard, that they need particular attention to water quality and feeding.

Store I work at isn't anywhere near you (we're in the U.S.) but we've got Galaxies in so I can add a couple thoughts from personal experience. (We've had the current shoal of 6 in for about a month.)

They are weird about their water--if they survive the acclimation and the following 24 hours, they do fine and thrive. But if the acclimation is too stressful, they'll just keel right over with no time to catch or cure it. We lost 3 of the initial 6 overnight *bam*, replaced those three and lost one of those overnight, then the last replacement who came in by himself did just fine and brought the shoal back up to 6 total.

Our Ph is 6.7, temp 78, and the water has a little Indian almond leaf added to it to soften it and for the tannins.

They won't take flake food of any kind, and don't seem interested in freeze-dried. However, ours are taking (and thriving on) frozen foods. But the food has to be SMALL and light and stay suspended in the water column. The only frozen foods we've gotten them to take are frozen daphnia, and frozen cyclops--they won't even touch baby brine shrimp, mysis shrimp, bloodworms, or adult brine shrimp--but they are taking those two prepared foods very well.

They've even been happy enough to show some courtship behaviour and the "twirling" that many danios, tetras, and rasboras do when contemplating a spawn. Haven't seen them actually spawning yet, nor any sign of offspring, but it's a huge change in attitude from the initial, scared, thin, shy, always-hiding fish that first came to us.

There are quite a few other species of tiny rasboras, I have three types Brigette, Merah and one labled “Microâ€￾. The brigette, are very beautiful little fish with great rasbora colour like harlequins. So if you like tiny fish there are other choices, they cost about £1.25 each, they are easy to keep, smaller than the “galaxiesâ€￾, easy to feed, you just have to smash up the flakes for them to make them bite size. In terms of bioload I think it would three or four brigittes would be similar to a cardinal tetra. The galaxies are great looking little fish but so are the other micro rasboras.

Bardills Garden Centre Just off J25 M1, Head for nottingham on the A52 centre is on the first roundabout you come to.
They have galaxys in £ 15 .00 for 4
I have some from there live with platties/neons in a 40 lt tank, no special water [ ours is a hardwater area]
they eat flake and micro pellets not tryed anything else yet all ok
Very active fish not shy
They are very nice but the pic looks a bit strange compaired to a live fish, can't put my finger on why though.

Hi guys! Has anyone got this fish? Do they look that nice and bright in reallity as well as on pics?
I would like to get some but I can't find them, do you know any shop that sells them in Midlands UK? thank you

I read on another site that
"I have yet to find anything these little fish won't eat. They are truly little piggies at feeding time. Plus no baby shrimp is safe from them. Love them."

lol guess you should wait till we know about em a lil more :)

Britains aquatics in Bolton (BAS) have them for under £4 and they've had them for a few months now.

not quite west midlands but maidenhead aquatics in crowland (just north of peterborough) have some in.

A5 Aquatics in Nuneaton Have them @ 3.50 each. and have been in quarantine for 4 weeks and are taking flake.

got mine home, i have 8 at the moment and another 10 coming next week. They are in a tank at 26 degrees with 0 params on the usual and pH of 6.6.

I spent 1 hour 30 mins adjusting them to the water. Floated them for 30 mins. and then spent the next hour adding water to the bag.

They have been wizzing around the quarantine tank quite happily and i have just fed them some crushed flake which they went mad for.

will update in the next 24 hours on their condition and will try them with some other food for their first morning feed.

Maidenhead Aquatics in Hereford had some just after Christmas, don't know if they have any left.
Also to peeps saying they don't eat flake, and they are difficult to keep - I haven't had any problems with mine at all, they settled into a tank with my other little fish really well and they most definitely eat anything I offer them, including flake.

Most reactions

Back