Galaxy Rasbora

I didnt realise how tiny they were. The picture makes them out to be an inch or more... but the wirte-up states 1.5cm max. That's crazy!

Anyone doon South, I know of at least one shop in Portsmouth with them for £4.95 each. They're just over a cm and being kept in standard local tap water.

there nice fish but if they only grwo to 1.5cm then :/ if they grew to 5 i might get a shoal but 1.5 is too small. although they would be good in the planted nano from pfk :)

Went to Crowland Maidenhead Aquatics yesterday, they also have the following microrasbora species:
Glowlight Microrasbora (Rasbora Thuzari) £2.75 each
Microrasbora Nana (Burmese Neon Green Rasbora) £2.25 each

Went to Crowland Maidenhead Aquatics yesterday, they also have the following microrasbora species:
Glowlight Microrasbora (Rasbora Thuzari) £2.75 each
Microrasbora Nana (Burmese Neon Green Rasbora) £2.25 each
:good: Good to know. Thanks for posting.

Feeshy what shop????

Arundel Aviaries and Fisheries. Not sure how many they had, the tank had a lot of plants in. But since the owner keeps all fish in tap water with a couple of corner filters, I'd be willing to bet they're pretty hardy.

Themuleous and i are meeting up tomorrow for a trip to enfield (among other stores). i'll let you know if they have any left and if the colours have improved. good spot Themuleous, makes a change to see something new.

did you go?

if so how were they? and how much did wildwoods want?

will be stocking my tank in a couple of weeks time!

I took a visit to Maidenhead Aquatics in Peterborough today. I have to say the "Galaxys" looked very nice, not quite the colour of the photos we see on the PFK site etc. but how many fish really look like that?

Upon close inspection their markings are great and I am strongly considering a shoal of six (just £20) in my 3 gal.

The other two Microrasbora species that voo mention were also very nice.

I was pleased to be able to chat with Steve, the manager who recognised me and he's even been following my 3 gal. journal. Even though the store was buzzing with customers (and my two daughters) he found time to show me various fish/shrimp and I have to say the level of service was excellent. He also freely admitted that their plants weren't the strongest and we've loosely arranged an informal chat, when the store is less busy, about possible improvements for the future.

A very worthwhile visit, so Steve if you're reading this then thanks.

well Sam and i met up on saturday at around 11am for a little magical mystery tour of my local (and not so local) stores. managed 6 in total including the famous Wildwoods. they only had 4 galaxy's left. my god there tiny. they do look very striking i must say but they'd be lost in my rio 180. perfect for a 20G or smaller. i think they were around £4.95 each but you dont go to wildwoods for a bargin. great selection of plecs as usual although they are out of zebras now.

i must say i was very disapointed to find a load of puffers, some the size of my fist in betta display tanks. they even had an adult angel in a double betta tank. :sly: not on really for what is supposed to be a top store.

i'll let sam give his opinion on the other shops we went to (and my new layout). A good day out and sam is a great bloke.

Not sure if all these small Rasboras are rare but tropical waters in birmingham acocks green has some in at the moment. The name escapes me but they are a small variety priced at 75p each I think.

Joel

Quick note about the shop tour, first off its mad to think that 5 shops all within a mile of each other can survive! Its not as if they sell different stuff! That said, three were your bog standard shops, nothing hugely interesting. Was very impressed with Home Marine (thinks that's its name) gorgeous display tank and the shop set up looked good. Also, visited the Kio company shop near Jims new house, and was quite impressed with the range of fish, number and quality of the marine display tanks. As for wildwoods, nice shop, but as Jim says not cheap. Apart from the cramped puffers well worth a visit just to see the L-plecos and the chuffing huge cichlid display tank they have, totally mad that one!

All in all a good day out, no rocks thou, which was a shame but no real loss have another few shops to visit for those. Nice to meet Jim who is as friendly and chatty in person as he comes across on TFF :) and see his tank and the new house, nice to own your own place hey Jim?

Sam

All in all a good day out, no rocks thou, which was a shame but no real loss have another few shops to visit for those. Nice to meet Jim who is as friendly and chatty in person as he comes across on TFF :) and see his tank and the new house, nice to own your own place hey Jim?

Sam

thank you kindly old chap. yeah it was a shame about the rocks. loads available but not quite the perfect specimen.

new house is great, sorry it's a bit empty... kind of a work in progress. at least the tank, sofa and telly are in the lounge and i have a kettle. important things sorted at least

:lol: yeh, get the essentials working, the rest can wait!

Sam

Most reactions

Back