Fun Facts We Didn't Need To Know

I think we're trying to escape from the dismal facts we know by pointing our noses at the interesting stuff. A lot of interesting turns out dismal though. Such is the way of facts.

There's a creek in Nebraska called "Dismal River." It didn't look particularly depressing to me, but first impressions can deceive.

There is a Great Dismal Swamp in Virgina, it is a beautiful place but was likely a pain in the ... for the settlers.

I remember when it was first proven that X. clemenciae was an ancient hybrid. A whole bunch of forum hobbyists started saying that justified hybridizing everything, another bunch said it proved all evolution was the result of hybridization of 'original species' and another bunch already knew natural hybrids were part of the big picture. I was on another forum at the time, and it was pretty entertaining.

I read this on The Spruce Pets website​

Malawi Eye-Biter​

Dimidiochromis compressiceps. A native of Lake Malawi, Africa, this aggressive cichlid is known to bite the eyes out of prey (thus the nickname). It also devours its prey starting with the tail, perhaps the only predator that does this.

Though small, there is a time delay between our eye processing what we see and sending that to our brains.
Same with our other senses.
Therefore we only see, feel, the past.

Most reactions

Back