Full Test Kits

ardandy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
We're steaming towards Friday (new tank day) and I'm in the process of getting some more things before it arrives.

125 ltr Tank/Tropical/Live Plants

Now I think I've got my head round the cycling but its the abundance of test kits that are driving me mad today!

I was thinking of getting the ( http://www.aquatics-online.co.uk/addtobask...24&rets=359 ) - API Full Test Kit but I'd just like to clarify 2 things.

Do I need (or worth getting) the hardness test kits as well as they're not part of this bunch? Also, are API a good brand, they seem quite popular on here?

Other than this lot, any other test kit worth having, like co2/oxygen etc?

Thanks!

Hardness test kits are not essential for a new set you what is will be Ammonia nitrate and nitrite.

I agree. I bought the KH & GH kits and never used them be a few times. Ammonia and nitrite are toxic so definitely the most important to have. You can take a sample of your tap water to the LFS and get them to test the GH & KH just so you know what it is. Just tell them to give you the numbers and not just say hard or soft.

API is very good. Or this interpet one. For now the most important are Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate & PH (maybe not as important as the other 3). All you need now is some pure ammonia and your well on your way

Edit: this is the one i use - Hagen Mini Master Test Kit A7865

just a hint - if you go for the api freshwater master test kit, they are cheaper on ebay uk than on that site, got mine for 14.99 :)

Its the basic liquid freshwater master test kit that you need for beginning tank setup the way we do it, much more so than any specialty kits.

In the year I've been helping here, the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and the Hagan/Nutrafin Mini-Master Test Kit seem to stand out as most popular with the members. Both are liked, with a few grumbles at times about ability to tell minor color differences. The API is probably most popular for its dramatic color change when ammonia and nitrite get to zero. The Interpet should be good too as its liquid-reagent based like the other two, but I've noticed a few more times when people seemed to have trouble with it, but not enough that I could document it.

RDD's take on the GH/KH kits is a good approach I'd agree with. Just get your tap water tested and record your base numbers from that in your logbook and you may get by and never need them.

Later, if you do end up needing GH/KH, the TetraTest KH test kit is good and the API GH/KH one is good, but probably any liquid one would be ok as these are pretty simple tests for the designers I think. When you need 'em, you need 'em! GH can tell you something about the calcium you're getting with water changes, which you might care about with plants, but also with fish sometimes. KH kits such as these measure alkalinity I believe and are useful in knowing your buffering capacity to keep pH stable - but this only turns up as something to learn if your tap water turns out to be extremely soft usually.

~~waterdrop~~

Is it just me or the new version of the API not come with the normal PH test, my old one has the normal and the high range!

News to me if that's true! Mine has separate low and high range bottles. Maybe other members can give us anecdotes!

~~waterdrop~~

If you go on charterhouse aqautics you can get it for about £18(API)

I work at pets at home and i can't say i have noticed that the new ones coming in only have high range pH but i might be wrong

andrew

Most reactions

Back