Fry Tank Has High Nitrites

evelester

Reaction score
ok, I have my fry tank with just the 20 or so little babies in there (they are about 4 weeks old now- no deaths) I took the momma out after birth. It is a 5 gallon with a filter with a bio wheel, and has a heater and a air stone. The temp has remained steady at 78 or so and the tank was cycled before we introduced any fish (did a fishless cycle) all was going well until this week, when all of the sudden nitrite levels spiked to .25 (I test every other day except this week and it has been daily.)

So on Monday, it was .25 (ammonia 0, Nitrates 10, ph 7.2) I did a 2 gallon water change and it went to 0, the next day I tested again and it was at 1.0, all other remain the same, so I did another 2 gallon water change, on weds. it was back to 0, and now today it was back up to .75, I did another 2 gallon water change and right now it is still at .75- I am going to do a 3 gallon change in a few minutes.

The fish are acting fine, and the test kit is right, all my other tanks are testing out at 0 as normal.

I was feeding a bit too much, they are off of the liquid food now and eating finely crushed dry food and weekly I give them a few blood worms, when I cleaned the gravel during the water change there was alot of excess food, so I am going to cut back, but how much is enough for babies, I was doing 3-4 times a day, but looks like they are not eating it all. Is it time to go down to once a day? are they ready? I am so confused.

When I do the next 3 gallon water change I am also picking up any leftover food I didnt get last time, and last water change I took out the few artificial plants and rinsed them and the filter well in the old tank water to get residue off of it, so I am hoping after this last 3 gallon change the nitrites will be back down...

What do you think, is this normal? How much should I be feeding 4 week old guppy fry... and at what point will they develop colors, only one has a tiny bit of black showing up on his tail right by his rear yay.gif) They are so adorable! Thanks in advance!

I posted this in the live bearers section, but thought I may get more help here) thanks!

vacuum ur gravel, and make sure the fish eat all the food you give them.

U could add Java moss or Java Fern in ur Fry tanks it has a natural ability to lower your nitrate levels and help.

It's possible that since they are getting bigger and eating more (plus left over food), they are producing more waste than the filter can handle right now. The ammonia bacteria develop quicker than those that process nitrite so maybe the bacteria just hasn't caught up with the nitrite. With the pH at 7.2 and the temp at 78 though, it should only take about 24 hours for the bacteria to double.

thanks you guys! As of the last water change and good vaccumme the level is back at 0, it was probably all of the uneaten food- there was a lot hiding behind the plants that I removed when I washed them off. So hopefully it will now stay at 0.

I def. need to feed them less now though, at what point do I go to feeding them once a day, I was at 3 times a day now at 2. Let me know! Thanks!

when they dont look like they want feeding :) its down to instinct, id say when there like 1/3 to 1/2 adult size start feeding once a day :)

Most reactions

Back