Fry Question

While doing my weekly water change, I noticed a single fry swimming about and I quickly removed it. As of right now, I have it in a betta bowl that was unused. Should I go out and get a breeder net to put in my regular 10 gallon tank or get a separate tank to set up and maintain for breeding purposes?

With just one fry i would just buy a net breeder and hang it in your 10 gallon until its big enough to swim with the other fish in your tank. Big enough meaning big enough it won't fit into the other fish's mouth :) If you plan on having more fry then yes another tank would be good :)

Well today i went out and got them a 10 gallon. Hope that helps:)
2012-07-29191620.jpg

You are going to cycle it first, right? (just checkin) Because if you do frequent water changes (as said previously) then they might be okay till the new 10 gal is ready.

A 10 gallon uncycled tank is better than a 5 gallon uncycled tank. Tank size helps dilute the poisons so i makes things easier to maintain. If you have cycled that 5 gallon, move the filter to the 10 gallon and then the added dilution will help. If the 5 gallon is not cycled, moving the filter won't matter.

While doing my weekly water change, I noticed a single fry swimming about and I quickly removed it. As of right now, I have it in a betta bowl that was unused. Should I go out and get a breeder net to put in my regular 10 gallon tank or get a separate tank to set up and maintain for breeding purposes?

With just one fry i would just buy a net breeder and hang it in your 10 gallon until its big enough to swim with the other fish in your tank. Big enough meaning big enough it won't fit into the other fish's mouth :) If you plan on having more fry then yes another tank would be good :)

I had a feeling that was the best option I just had to confirm it. Thank you very much! :)

I used seeded media from my big tank for the 5 gallon. For the 10 gallon i just moved the filter over.

If you have a mature filter, you are way ahead of most folks. A larger tank will still help but won't be quite as urgent as with an uncycled filter.

Most reactions

Back