Fry Question

simplykayla76

Reaction score
I have a 5 gallon fry tank i set up for my unexpected Platy fry. I had 3 platy in a ten gallon until one of the females surprised me with fry. I decided to put my male up for adoption at my LFS. That left me with 2 female platy. Well I was able to rescue 3 of the fry which will be 1 month old Tuesday. Well my other female platy gave birth to fry today. And I was able to save somewhere between 8 & 10...not sure havent did a head count yet. I put the newborn fry in a net breeder which is hanging in my 5 gallon fry tank with betta grass and a live moss ball.

My question is ... if I let the 1 day old fry out of the net breeder into the fry tank with the almost month old fry...will they be eaten by the month old fry?

I am still afraid to let the almost month old back into the 10 gallon with their momma and roomie just yet. They are between 3/8 and 1/2 inch long now.

Any ideas would be appreciated :)

Your new fry will be quite safe with one-month old babies :good:

Don't forget you'll need to do lots of water changes in your small fry tank, or they won't grow properly (they produce a hormone that stunts their growth when it reaches a certain concentration). 50% a day is what I do in fry tanks.

Your new fry will be quite safe with one-month old babies :good:

Don't forget you'll need to do lots of water changes in your small fry tank, or they won't grow properly (they produce a hormone that stunts their growth when it reaches a certain concentration). 50% a day is what I do in fry tanks.

Thank You :) This is such an exciting experience...babies :)

You're very welcome.

I remember how exciting it used to be to have fry, lol.

I may disagree fluttermoth not to be rude :good: but when i put my female guppy who was giving birth into my hatchery i put the grill on top of my 1 month old 5 fry and when a new birth fry would come out and go down the grill the 1 month old fry would chase them and i remember see one got caught in its mouth and would tear it apart :crazy:

O my... Well i was sitting here thinking...maybe i should leave them in the net breeder in the fry tank a week and a half then let them out. Not sure really what to do. The reason I'm so concerned is the net breeder is right under the light which is a 15 watt. So I decided to try putting just one of the day old fry in with the almost month old. And so far the little one is doing okay and the month old ones have had a chance to chase the day old and swim next to each other. Although the day old fry was hiding under the moss ball and one of the month old fry nipped at the day old but when the day old came out from under the moss ball the month old didn't chase him/her.

Guess its all about chance...but I may just wait at least 1 week.

O my... Well i was sitting here thinking...maybe i should leave them in the net breeder in the fry tank a week and a half then let them out. Not sure really what to do. The reason I'm so concerned is the net breeder is right under the light which is a 15 watt. So I decided to try putting just one of the day old fry in with the almost month old. And so far the little one is doing okay and the month old ones have had a chance to chase the day old and swim next to each other. Although the day old fry was hiding under the moss ball and one of the month old fry nipped at the day old but when the day old came out from under the moss ball the month old didn't chase him/her.

Guess its all about chance...but I may just wait at least 1 week.
1 week will be fine / should be ok at 2 or 3 days

alot of keen fish keeps i know have a saying... if the fish in the tank have a big enough mouth it will eat what will fits in the mouth

I think you can put your one month old fry in the tank with their mom as my 5 one month old frys arnt getting eaten by my adult fish, they would chase them but they leave them alone probably to see if they are small enough to eat

:) Well i decided on day 3 of their lives to release them in my 5 gallon fry tank with the three- 1 month old fry. :D

So far so good... B-) (The darker orange ones are the month old fry)

2012-07-24145845.jpg

Need a tank like that so the fry have space but if i get my future tank as my house is undergoing some work i can use my current tank(in signurture) as a fry tank

So how long before they run out of room in the 5 gallon? 3- platy fry that are 1 month old and about 11 platy fry that are 6 days old.( i never did get an exact count on the 6 day old fry)

A full drop of fry in a 5 gallon tank started out over populated. Lots of good sized water changes can make that situation tolerable for several weeks.

While doing my weekly water change, I noticed a single fry swimming about and I quickly removed it. As of right now, I have it in a betta bowl that was unused. Should I go out and get a breeder net to put in my regular 10 gallon tank or get a separate tank to set up and maintain for breeding purposes?

Most reactions

Back