Fry are dieing

yvez9

you don't know JACK FISH
Reaction score
Hey there
my girlfriend has been keeping guppies for about 6 months now

We had our first batch of fry (around30) back in november and all the babies survived in a breeding net for about a month until we got our new 50 gallon. They all grew up there and are fine.

We use a 12 gallon as a breeding tank, a 10 gallon as a growout tank and the 50 as the show tank.

Basicalll, ever since that first batch of fry, all the babies have been dieing and so do the mothers after giving birth. We've had maybe 10-15 batches of fry since and the same thing always happens

The babies look fine and are moved to the 10 gallon growout tank. Then after a few days, their fins become all clamped and eventually they die.

The mother also gets sick right after giving birth. They won't eat and their stomach kind of seems to be caving in instead of showing a little belly like they usually do. After a few days they die.

Please note all the mothers so far have been store bought since our own guppies are just getting old enough to breed themselves...

Does anyone have any idea as to what might be causing this?

Any possibility of a severe temperature shock? Or that the water is too cold for their tastes?

water is like 74-76 degrees in all my tanks

We acclimate them properly as we do any fish we change tanks...

Do your guppys by any chance happen to be fancy ones? Its just a chance, but it sounds like they are very inbred/overbred to me, your lfs isn't stocking very good quality guppys; guppys don't have to look nice to good quality, in fact the more fancy and colorful they are the more inbred they tend to be and thus lower quality ending up in an array of problems...
Do the fry/mother fish tend to die more when they are in the 50gal?

what have you been feeding them?

if it is that flake stuuf it can hurt their stomich and can get in their throt.

there is this liquid food for young that might help.

+ Did you feed the female after she gave birth? After fish give birth or lay eggs they lose a lot of weght, and need to fed. :clap:

yeah we feed them after they gve birth
they don,t always eat though

and they aren't fancy guppies, just regular guppies

We had about 20 fry today, i'll see how they end up

Most reactions

Back