From 48 To 180 In 3.0 Seconds Flat

Yeah I really like the look of the [font="Verdana]rotala rotundafolia too but if it's gonna send roots out from all over the plant - I'm not gonna be able to take it! Grrrr! #40## you roots![/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Verdana][/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Verdana]Sooo I was up to my usual bad behaviour at work today and I've made some decisions on my plant purchases.[/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Verdana][/font][/color]
[color="#222222"][font="Verdana]Currently in the tank, minus wisteria cuz it ain't stayin'![/font][/color]
[font="Verdana] [/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Vallisneria gigantea (Giant Vallis)
[/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Bacopa caroliana (Bacopa - der)[/color][/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Echinodorus tenellus (Pygmy Chain Sword) - I'm not 100% on the ID of this one...[/color][/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Cryptocoryne pontederiifola - I think?[/color][/font]
[font="Verdana] [/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Right! These are the plants and quantities I've decided on:[/color][/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Vallisneria gigantea x 5 (just to bulk up where the vallis is now)[/color][/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Bacopa caroliana x 25 (to go where the wisteria in the middle is)[/color][/font]
Echinodorus tenellus x 25 (bit o' carpet...)
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Cryptocoryne Green Gecko x 2 (probably on the left round about where the crypts are currently)
[/color][/font][font="Verdana] [/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Now...I am having a hard time deciding on what to put on the far right behind the wood, in place of the wisteria. [/color][/font]
[font="Verdana] [/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]I've got it down to three options.[/color][/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Cryptocoryne balansae - I really like this one and since it will grow in low/medium light it'll be OK stuck in the dark behind that bit of wood! The drawback is it's of a very similar sort of look to the vallis on the other side :/[/color][/font][font="Verdana] [/font]
[font="Verdana][color="#222222"]Rotala rotundifolia - great looking plant and given the right conditions turns red! I'm a bit put off by the potential for crazy roots.
[/color][/font][font="Verdana] [/font][font="Verdana] [/font]
Or this nice red one, which also does the root thing [img]http://www.fishforums.net/public/style_emoticons/default/angry.gif[/img][color="#222222"][font="Verdana] ...[/font][/color][url="https://aquarium-gardening.com/details.php?prodId=184&category=5&secondary=0&keywords="]Ludwigia repens[/url][font="Verdana] or [/font][/color][url="https://aquarium-gardening.com/details.php?prodId=373&category=5&secondary=0&keywords="]Ludwigia repens rubin[/url][font="Verdana] - not too sure how different the two are actually...[/font]

most if not all stems will throw off roots. What about some Bolbitis instead of the wisteria?

Rotala is a difficult plat to turn red, it may stay green, but it's easy enough.

Balansae is a great plant, i have kept it a few times, it is very slow growing and just keep in mind, unless you order the tropica stuff you'll get balansae that is about 8cm tall.

The balansae being similar to vallis in looks may be a good thing. Similar to what I am doing with vallis and dwarf sag. Rotala was green for me even in my higher light tank until I added some extra wattage and it got tall.

getting plants to go red isn't about 'highlight', it's about getting the balance right. Good CO2, n and p and good Fe. :good:

I remember seeing you write that about the Ludwiga too. I must have hit a balance when it started to redden.

Hygrophila of any description would look good. Alternanthera maybe?

My hydrocotyle hasn't budged since it went in. :lol:

I love looking up all of these suggestions :D thanks! The hygrophila alternanthera looks fab minnnt.

Thanks for the tip about the size of the crypt as well ian, I would have been really disappointed lol. I'm leaning towards the crypt as I do like it a lot...just not 100% sure how well it'll fit in with the scape. I've got another week to stew over it because I certainly have no cash! Come on payday!

Keep the suggestions coming if ya got em!

Oh and the place I'm thinking of ordering from does have the balansae in a "tropica pot" for £10.95 a shot
crazy.gif
- how many do you think I'd want? Yes, do read my mind - thanks!

They also have it in a bunch of 25 for the same price.

Hygrophila of any description would look good. Alternanthera maybe?

My hydrocotyle hasn't budged since it went in. :lol:

:sly: Aren't you just perfect then? :/ :< :fun:

I just placed a plant order and got some Alternanthera reineckii :hyper: I am most excited for that on as its origins are S. American so it fits in my biotope!

and hydrocotyle :lol:

Just saw your post, exciting stuff!

I do want to get some red in there too, argh decisions! I'll have a little bit of red when that "green gecko" crypt matures (hopefully), apparently that takes a while
rolleyes.gif

Oh my goodness guys I've taken 10 steps back! I am now up to 6 plants I'm trying to decide between. I had discounted alternantheras because I got them confused with aponogetons which die back but then minnt made me look again - :rolleyes:

!!!!

So I've got Alternanthera reinickii or alternanthera roseafoliia, rotala rotundifolia, Cryptocoryne balansae, Cryptocoryne balansae RED (cool!), Ludwigia repens RUBIN....jeezo, kill me now. This really shouldn't be that big a decision!

I like the roseafolia one, grew well in my tank. Innevitably me tinkering with it and numerous re-scapes was it's downfall. :crazy:

Aponogetons may actually be worth a look. :good:

Most reactions

Back