Fresh And Frozen Food Question

fish_keeper2

I am Nemo!!
Reaction score
right now i have zucinni, and bloodworms, spriula enriched brine shrimp, plankton, emerald entray(mix of algea, lettuce, and spinach made for herbavoires), and marine cuisine(mix of krill, shrimp and other stuff made for carnivores) all of which are frozen. i was wondering what other fresh and frozen foods i can feed my fish. see my profile to see what fish i have. im trying to get away from flakes and such and use only fresh and frozen foods.

I have been asking the same thing, I would like to get an article pinned about what foods can be fed to fish and the preparation.

I feed my pleco with the odd bit of cucumber and tomato (which he loves).

I know you can also feed them live earth worms, yum yum.

You've got a pretty diverse diet already and have covered everything - you can use any green veggie like cucumber, peas, spinach, etc. If you want to go without flakes or pellets altogether I'd at least use a vitamin supplement.

thanks you guys. what vitamin suplements are ok for fish, what ones would i need and how would i use them?

Hi fish_keeper2 :)

I just have to ask you why you want to stop feeding flake food? :unsure:

No, I disagree. What I think fish need is a somewhat varied diet of foods according to the type of fish they are. It's more a matter of feeding appropriately than naturally.

Some flake and pellet foods are excellent, while some are of a lesser quality. It's just as important to read the information on the back of the label when buying as it is when you shop for food for humans. Freeze dried foods are very good too, and provide high protien content at a very low comparative cost.

I like to avoid the brands of fish food available in supermarkets and most chain lfs. If you spend a little more at an independant lfs, you will have a much wider selection of quality foods.

Hi Wilder,

Since the first is a commercial site, that's looking to sell its product, I wouldn't pay it much attention.

The second gives good information, but doesn't necessarily speak out against using prepared foods.

I like the third link best because it discusses the merits of various kinds of prepared foods. I disagree with them when they talk about sticking to low protein flake food, however. If a high protein diet is something a particular kind of fish needs, I hardly think it's wise to give them a low protein diet in order to avoid doing water changes. Of course, there are herbivore fish that can thrive on just vegetables.

I read that last link and thought it wasn't bad, but i do agree with you on the protein, i feed my fish a good diet so i do two water changes to deal with the water factor.

thanks. i guess ill just feed a variety of foods........i still have lots of flakes, granuals, freeze dried blood worms, bottom feeder tablets, algea wafers, and pellets left.

a few more questions: is orange slices really good for goldfish.......thats all they feed the goldfish at petsmart. also what fruits/vegatables are good to feed besides, lettuce, zucinni cucumber, and peas.

I don't know about feeding goldfish orange slices. :unsure: But even if they are, they shouldn't be the main part of their diet.

One food that I used to use before they changed their recipe is Wardley's Shrimp Pellets. They have way too much ground grain to make me happy. I found that my corys stopped eating it and it just sank into the gravel and went bad. Like I said, read the ingredients on these things.

Another food I use a lot of is live blackworms or tubifex worms. My fish love them and it's well worth the work of cleaning them, IMO. :D

One food that I used to use before they changed their recipe is Wardley's Shrimp Pellets. They have way too much ground grain to make me happy. I found that my corys stopped eating it and it just sank into the gravel and went bad. Like I said, read the ingredients on these things.
Inchworm, I feed my corys the same product and notice that it seems to disintegrate quickly and the corys don't seem to get full bellys when eating it. I wonder if I'm using the same formula? Do you remember when they changed it?

Hi Gazoo :)

It's been quite a while now, but here's how to tell them apart.

The original was called Wardley Shrimp Pellets and had a minimum crude protein content of 37%. It's main ingredients were Shrimp meal, wheat flour, fish protein concentrate, meat meal, etc.

The new one is now called Wardley Shrimp Pellets Formula. It has a minimum crude protein content of just 30%. It's main ingredients are shrimp meal, ground wheat, fish meal and animal fat.

There are other things listed in both products, but those are the main ones. It's too bad because the original was good food for corys. The new ones break up too fast and before I realized the change, I was finding large bubbles forming in the gravel when I did water changes. I can just think that it was the wheat fermenting or something under there. :sick:

Most reactions

Back