For Those Who Use Rubbermaid Containers

fishwatcher

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
South Carolina... Smiling Faces, Beautiful Places.
I am considering a 50-gal rubbermaid tote, but am concerned about dry-rotting/cracking. It would be about 1/2 way buried, and out in mostly sun. I can get a 50-gal prefab pond for $45, or Rubbermaid for $16. So, if the rubbermaid container will last (at least a year or 2) then I will go with that.
So, has anyone had one of these last?
Thanks!
Stephanie

I think the Rubbermaid tub will be fine. After all, their outdoor garbage cans last for years and years of abuse... and the tubs are probably thicker material than the garbage cans but you could compare them to be sure.

I don't like your idea of leaving it out in full sun though. It would heat up too easily. Could you put it where it would at least not get direct sun during the hottest part of the day? Or maybe set up a lawn umbrella over it? Or a small palm tree? Or a trellis built over it covered in vines? Something??

Those 50 gallon totes are great. I had a goldfish pond made out of one of those on my back porch once. It wasn't in direct sun all day but it did get some sun. I was up for a few months and never saw any damage.

Mine bowed out in the middle from the pressure of all the water in it so I surrounded it with cement blocks, which also gave people a place to sit and watch it. Which you probably won't have to worry about since you are going to bury it.

These totes are really thick and durable, I wouldn't worry about a yr or two in the sun.

I can't say it's full sun, but it probably gets 4-5 hours a day, then part shade from about 3 pm on. I had a round pond (made out of a bath tub!) a while back that was 5' wide and 18" deep. It sat almost in exactly the same place this one will be sitting, but it was in a raised bed with dirt/flowers around it. Only about 4-5" sat above ground. I plan on burying about half of the 50-g tote, to help with the temps in summer and winter, and the bowing out part. There will be a few plants in it, too, so hopefully that will help shade the water some.

Do you think any WCMMs would work in this set-up, or would it get too hot/cold for them here? Highs here are about 95 (with a few 100 degree days) and lows are generally just above freezing with a few nights into the teens.
I was thinking of adding 5-6 to the pond, once the goldfish are settled in.
What do you think?

Well.. a 50G isn't all that big for goldfish so I'm not sure you would want to add to the bioload. How many goldfish were you planning and what kinds? A 50G inside tank would probably be OK for 2-3 fancy goldfish but for comets/commons (since fancies do not do very well in an outdoor setting), you should probably only temporarily house 2 in a 50G. They get too big and are big-time swimmers so they need a lot more room than fancies. Make sure you have some kind of waterfall happening to create sufficient airation/surface agitation to create good gas exchange since the warmer waters do not hold O2 as well. I'm not sure a 50G would be deep enough and have enough water volume to handle temps down into the teens. Be prepared to move the fish inside for the winter.

Most reactions

Back