Following The Cumbra Shootings, How Do You Feel About Firearm Laws In

Yes thats true si :good: when i was 16 i was knocking around with a group, when one lad came down with his mate, they all went round the back alley, where he procided to pull a hand gun out of his trousers....evil little **** procided to shoot a cat....Obviously i was mortified and me and a few others left imediately :crazy:

What is the point of owning your own guns though?

why not go to a designated shooting place and hire them for use within the grounds of said place?

well in the US there has been something like this (virginaia tech, that one highschool)

and tbh i think its just one of those consequences you can never get rid of and can only control to a certain degree

and its worse here in the US due to that "Have the right to bear arms" bit

It is a terrible disaster; even if they ban all firearms people will still get them.

As I say terrible disaster but I AM fed up of hearing about it; it's been on the national news and our local news (we aren't even local to the area). It is a disaster and yes I am very sorry for all the people that were affected but I don't need to hear about is 24 hours a day.

Sorry i cannot see why someone needs to own a gun in the uk??
i think that has already been discussed. shooting is a sport that many people take part in safely and legally. and guns are also necessary to control pests.

why not go to a designated shooting place and hire them for use within the grounds of said place?
it would not work having a designated place and hiring them etc. i, for example shoot in my garden and the field next door, to keep the rabbit and pigeon numbers down, as the rabbits eat all of our plants and dig holes in the field next door, endangering the racehorses in the field. and the pigeons fly into our veg patch, and eat the plants. so if we were only allowed to shoot on certain places and had to hire the gun out, then it would not be possible to keep the numbers down.

However, it isn't just the shooting bit. many people like to own their gun, and wouldn't want to hire one out. would you want to hire a car out every time you want to use it, just because people die in car accidents?

cheers :good:

i think that has already been discussed. shooting is a sport that many people take part in safely and legally. and guns are also necessary to control pests.

it would not work having a designated place and hiring them etc. i, for example shoot in my garden and the field next door, to keep the rabbit and pigeon numbers down, as the rabbits eat all of our plants and dig holes in the field next door, endangering the racehorses in the field. and the pigeons fly into our veg patch, and eat the plants. so if we were only allowed to shoot on certain places and had to hire the gun out, then it would not be possible to keep the numbers down.

However, it isn't just the shooting bit. many people like to own their gun, and wouldn't want to hire one out. would you want to hire a car out every time you want to use it, just because people die in car accidents?

A car isn't designed to crash as it's sole purpose.

My first post suggested owning your own guns but having to store them in a 'proper' place ie. police station/official gun storage hold and to be signed out with information on use, time period before return etc etc
Suppose that would make no difference though other than making more awkwardness thinking about it properly. :/

Could always buy/make something to scare the birds away and get your self a few cats for the rabbits.

Would your opinion on owning guns change perhaps if somebody close to you died through a similar incident?

This was a one off incident from a psychotic man who I hope is rotting in hell (or where-ever an evil person like that goes).

Mental illness or breakdown is an awful condition that can have and has in this instance cost the lives of many people and scared many people, both mentally and physically for life.

You can not legislate for a mental health crisis, as someone said earlier, if it hadn't been a gun, it would have been something else. Maybe we should be wondering why nobody noticed that this man was heading into a mental health issue - is it a product of our society that we are less interested or less caring about those around us?

Ace, I am sure you are well aware that a mental health crisis does not = 'evil person'

Seffie x

As simonas has pointed out. The majority of gun related crime is with unlicensed guns. That means these people are already breaking the law by owning it. If people are going to do that, why bother adding more restrictions to the people who obey the law? It's not going to make a difference to the criminals.

It's like that old saying: if you outlaw guns only outlaws will have guns.

I don't think our culture is too different from america to lighten our gun laws.

Oh and guess what school I went to? John o gaunt school in hungerford. Where michael Ryan finished off his shooting spree.

the thing is over here in the UK they think
if you ban something it will go away like after hungerford
and dunblane they band hand guns thinking that would be the end
.banning the gun as only given the criminal element a free range
over the illegal gun. when the gun was licenced they had some sort
of control over it now there is no control at all
i feel sorry for the people who lost there lives
in cumbria but its not the gun that kills people its the nutter
that uses it.i kept guns for many years got non now
like and i never felt like going and blowing some one away
gun crime as be come more prevalent no in the uk
since the gun was banned

My first post suggested owning your own guns but having to store them in a 'proper' place ie. police station/official gun storage hold and to be signed out with information on use, time period before return etc etc
Suppose that would make no difference though other than making more awkwardness thinking about it properly. :/

Could always buy/make something to scare the birds away and get your self a few cats for the rabbits.

Would your opinion on owning guns change perhaps if somebody close to you died through a similar incident?

Likewise a firearm isnt designed to break the law.

yeah, having them stored at police stations would not have prevented what happened in Cumbria, as you would simply be allowed to sign them out and misuse them.

scaring bird away dosent work, and cats would not do an efficent enough job to keep rabbits away. Also what about squirrels? They need their numbers controlled too.

Like I said earlier, land owners are under LEGAL OBLIGATION to control pest species, did you know its also illegal to release pest species once you catch them in a trap? They have to be killed.

Rabbits, squirrels, foxes and various birds do very serious damamge in the countryside and to farmers livestock. To the casual observer or townie, you might see one 'cute' rabbit causing no harm in the middle of a field, yet a farmer sees hundreds of pounds of lost revenue, and possibly injured livestock.

Hopefully no one I (or you) know would ever meet such an unfortunate end, however, my perception of firearms and my stance on the law would not change, atleast I hope so anyway, rational thinking would go out of the window in such traumatic times as mourning takes over.

Would you still get in a car perhaps if someone close to you died in a car accident?

Likewise a firearm isnt designed to break the law.

yeah, having them stored at police stations would not have prevented what happened in Cumbria, as you would simply be allowed to sign them out and misuse them.

scaring bird away dosent work, and cats would not do an efficent enough job to keep rabbits away. Also what about squirrels? They need their numbers controlled too.

Like I said earlier, land owners are under LEGAL OBLIGATION to control pest species, did you know its also illegal to release pest species once you catch them in a trap? They have to be killed.

Rabbits, squirrels, foxes and various birds do very serious damamge in the countryside and to farmers livestock. To the casual observer or townie, you might see one 'cute' rabbit causing no harm in the middle of a field, yet a farmer sees hundreds of pounds of lost revenue, and possibly injured livestock.

Hopefully no one I (or you) know would ever meet such an unfortunate end, however, my perception of firearms and my stance on the law would not change, atleast I hope so anyway, rational thinking would go out of the window in such traumatic times as mourning takes over.

Would you still get in a car perhaps if someone close to you died in a car accident?

well said that man
i think that just about sums it up
i lost my dad in an RTA he was on
a bike the other person was drunk and driving
a car [just the same as giving him a loaded gun ]
my dad was killed at 1.10 in the morning on his way home
all i got after was your never going to ride a motorbike
there death traps it wasn't the bike that kill my dad it was the car being controlled
be some one who was not sober at the time and shouldnt of been behind the wheel
so at the end of the day its not the bike or the car that killed my dad
but the drunk behind the wheel

This was a one off incident from a psychotic man who I hope is rotting in hell (or where-ever an evil person like that goes).

Mental illness or breakdown is an awful condition that can have and has in this instance cost the lives of many people and scared many people, both mentally and physically for life.

You can not legislate for a mental health crisis, as someone said earlier, if it hadn't been a gun, it would have been something else. Maybe we should be wondering why nobody noticed that this man was heading into a mental health issue - is it a product of our society that we are less interested or less caring about those around us?

Ace, I am sure you are well aware that a mental health crisis does not = 'evil person'

Seffie x

Making excuses for a evil murderer, no matter what he had it doesn't make up for killing random people who were just going about their daily business. He is an evil person.

Yes i noticed :lol: but it was ment in a way of just saying....everyone has an oppinion and that is mine,

[/quote]

Making excuses for a evil murderer, no matter what he had it doesn't make up for killing random people who were just going about their daily business. He is an evil person.
[/quote]

I don;t know you know I dealwith a lot of people who have major breakdowns and commit heinous crimes... I;ve seen them when they;re medicated and stable and I;ve seen these people prior to the breakdown.They really do not know what they are dooing is "evil". Now I don;t know whether the Cumbria guy was evil or having a major mental breakdown as there is a difference.

Some people are just pure evil and od this stuff as they are so horrible but the menatlly ill people do the smae horrible acts but there really is an explanation for it which is hard for us to grasp.

I dealt with a guy recently who rans his mum and brother over as the wallhad told him to.He'd written post it notes with questions all over his wall and the wall gave one knock for yes two knocks for no. The wall said it was his mum and brother who were plitting against them.he waited for them and ran them over. I got concerned in interview (the police didn;t which is concerning) and he was sectioned. I;ve seen him since and now he;s stabilised hes so much different. Quite sad that people live in our society without help and are ticking time bombs as this guy may have been

Most reactions

Back