Fluval Roma 90

James234

Reaction score
I just bought this tank and put six of my silver tip tetras in and they all died, even though I put filter media in from my other filter. I'm sure I have read on this forum that you can do this. Any way I put my filter in with all the other fish, so how long should I run my two filters for?? Thanks

I just bought this tank and put six of my silver tip tetras in and they all died, even though I put filter media in from my other filter. I'm sure I have read on this forum that you can do this. Any way I put my filter in with all the other fish, so how long should I run my two filters for?? Thanks

First of all sorry about your fish! awful business!

the only way i would have suggested cheating the filters is to have maybe filled your new tank with the water from your other one also, just so it gives all the bacteria etc the chance to come over also.

My guess is that although your media may have been suitable the water simply jumped in probably ammonia or something im not to sure and would be lying if i said anythin specific.

On the other hand i just ran the filter for about two to three days if that really, but like i said would highly reccomend keeping your other water the same temp and changing 90% of your fluval 90 water with your old tank if possible.

Yeah I done a bit of that as well added some water, and I also added some nutrafin cycle stuff for a few days, I know that that stuff doesn't cycle the tank, but I figured adding water the cycle stuff and filter media from my 3 year old tank would be ok, obviously not.
It was very bizarre one night they were ok the next two were dead, then later that day another died, so I then thought to add all of the other fishes (7 more) to the tank with the filter and within 10 minutes of getting the filter another had died even though it was swimming a second ago, and now all the silver tips are gone but the other 7 remaining are fine, now I'm nervous about taking out the filter it's been there for about 5 days.

Why not fishlessly cycle the now empty tank with the new filter. I think tetra can suffer shock from sudden change in water parameters but without any stats on either tank it's hard to tell.

Yeah I don't have a test kit, but how long should I keep the filters running together for, weeks... months??

The problem is the existing filter is already converting all the ammonia and nitrite to nitrate. Running 2 filters in the same tank like that will take months + to mature the new filter.

So is their no bacteria in the new one, I did put some filter media in it as well, can it handle the 7 fishes? Also is their anywhere I can get that test kit everyone uses but not from eBay

If your talking about the API master test kit i think pets at home sell them but they are not cheap ,30 pounds or so

The cheapest i can see it online is £22.99, click on the link and have a look.
http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/api-freshwater-master-test-kit_1_160482.html

Skins.

you forgot about postage skins. He might need it asap
If James wants to get it cheap then online is a safe bet but if he requires it asap then will have to source locally, Simples.

Thanks guys I will buy it from there, but is it worth buying a £20 test kit for just a few uses now?

Thanks guys I will buy it from there, but is it worth buying a £20 test kit for just a few uses now?

If you read it, it does say 800 uses! That's a lot for just £23. They are also high quality and invaluable as a fish keeper. I think I might have to buy myself one of those.

AmazonFTW

If you read it, it does say 800 uses! That's a lot for just £23. They are also high quality and invaluable as a fish keeper. I think I might have to buy myself one of those.

AmazonFTW
+1

Thanks guys I'm going to order one it seems worth it, what should I do about the filters though? Has anyone had any experience on this??

Most reactions

Back