Fluval Roma 90

James, since you had another tank for 3 years, you already know and i'm sure you just washed the new tank with just tap water and not with any detergents/soap. But if you bought an old tank which has not been used for a while, may be there is something harmful in there. As other members have said, water stats would give you a clear idea.

You are more experienced than me in fish keeping and i only started, but i think using a part of media from the mature filter in the other tank in the new filter like you did is the best way to go and the 7 tetras should not have caused that much bioload. But this will depend upon how much mature filter media did you put it in the new filter though.

Or

May be if you have got all the tetra at the same time from the same store, may be they have some kind of parasites, or died because of stress

Or

May be there really was an ammonia/nitrite spike which killed them, although as senior members would say, you should be able to clearly see the signs of those fish suffering from this kind of poisoning before their death.

I'm a newbie as well and the other members who have already posted are more experienced than me, but above are my thoughts on it. Now that you are getting the test kit, at least one of those questions will be answered.

Good luck and sorry for your fish loss

Seeding a new filter with mature media only *usually* jump-starts it to working biofilter status. The colonies need to "take" in their new situation. Sometimes, for whatever reason, they don't, or they don't right away. Cloning with mature media works well as just another variation on fishless cycling, often the biofilter can pass it's qualification after only a week.

"Cleaning" the filter that is providing the mature media directly in the new tank that has the new filter is a wonderful addition to mature media seeding and helps to spread bacteria more widely in the true flow paths within the new filter I feel.

~~waterdrop~~

Most reactions

Back