Floating plant suggestions/photos

.Craig.

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

I was having a look for floating plants but can’t seem to make my mind up, I had duckweed a long time ago and it was not much fun! just seemed to end up everywhere! Is frogbit as bad? i did also think of a chunk of water wisteria. I think my gourami would appreciate it.

An suggestions welcome and photos of any in your tank much appreciated

I just got delivered some Limnobium laevigatum. Water sprite is popular. This is a good place to get floating plants from:
See files for Limnobium laevigatum.

Attachments

• IMG_20220202_183719.jpg
    IMG_20220202_183719.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 37
Duckweed does certainly get everywhere and difficult to get rid of once it beds in.

Frogbit is much better as a floating plant along with water lettuce and a few others.

The best without doubt tho is Ceratopteris Corntua aka Water sprite. Grows really well, looks good, great for helping water quality and fish security and you can also plant it in your substrate aswel as floating
20220202_173920.jpg

Floating plants come in two basic groups, those that I tend to refer to as substantial, and then those tiny plants like duckweed, Salvinia, and similar. There are also a third group that can do well floating, and these are some of the stem plants (pennywort, cabomba, wistria, etc).

The "substantial" plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta), Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) and Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) are each ideal. Water Sprite especially. All of these reproduce vegetatively, and if the parent plant(s) get too large for your liking, remove a few of the daughter plants and toss the parent plants. I've had Water Sprite in my tanks for 30 years now, all descendant generations from the one plant I bought in 1995. First photo below shows this plant. Second is a couple of my Frogbit, one in bloom. Third is Water Lettuce, showing an older plant with several youngsters around it.

Attachments

• Ceratopteris cornuta4.jpg
    Ceratopteris cornuta4.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 36
  • Hydrocharis morsus-ranae (2).JPG
    Hydrocharis morsus-ranae (2).JPG
    155.4 KB · Views: 37
  • Pistia stratiotes1.jpg
    Pistia stratiotes1.jpg
    115.7 KB · Views: 40
I just got delivered some Limnobium laevigatum. Water sprite is popular. This is a good place to get floating plants from:
Some of my Anubias came from there! Plants are very good quality. will have a look at website again

Duckweed does certainly get everywhere and difficult to get rid of once it beds in.

Frogbit is much better as a floating plant along with water lettuce and a few others.

The best without doubt tho is Ceratopteris Corntua aka Water sprite. Grows really well, looks good, great for helping water quality and fish security and you can also plant it in your substrate aswel as floating View attachment 154082

That is very impressive setup! Thanks for info also

Floating plants come in two basic groups, those that I tend to refer to as substantial, and then those tiny plants like duckweed, Salvinia, and similar. There are also a third group that can do well floating, and these are some of the stem plants (pennywort, cabomba, wistria, etc).

The "substantial" plants like Water Sprite (Ceratopteris cornuta), Frogbit (Limnobium laevigatum) and Water Lettuce (Pistia stratiotes) are each ideal. Water Sprite especially. All of these reproduce vegetatively, and if the parent plant(s) get too large for your liking, remove a few of the daughter plants and toss the parent plants. I've had Water Sprite in my tanks for 30 years now, all descendant generations from the one plant I bought in 1995. First photo below shows this plant. Second is a couple of my Frogbit, one in bloom. Third is Water Lettuce, showing an older plant with several youngsters around it.
thanks for the info, Great pics also. so Much options

Just ordered frogbit for starters, will look into floating stems too. Thanks everyone for the info

I got some frogbit Friday/ Saturday last week and it is already producing new plants, and the roots are extending down. Should hopefully do well dealing with my fish waste when I get some!

Frogbit is my favorite by far, but salvinia is a close second. Here are some photos.

Frogbit:
FB707D00-816C-4E3C-BC18-6C71A08AD75B.jpeg
D7EFE19D-6027-4F50-B975-B23EF2B1436A.jpeg

Salvinia minima:
3F71B183-DC31-4EF0-8E3E-098FD3BD7BCB.jpeg

I like water sprite. It grows super fast and can be planted in the substrate as well as floated. I got about 5 stems 1 month ago and already it has grown a lot.

Other than what @Byron has already mentioned, another very nice floating plant is (Phyllanthus Fluitans Red Root Floater) I bought these for my new 90g set up and after a week they are already growing nicely.

Attachments

• phyllanthus-fluitans-red-root-floater-30489900449992_798x532.jpg
    phyllanthus-fluitans-red-root-floater-30489900449992_798x532.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 33
  • phyllanthus-fluitans-red-root-floater-31226448216264_1031x1289.jpg
    phyllanthus-fluitans-red-root-floater-31226448216264_1031x1289.jpg
    221.4 KB · Views: 31

Most reactions

Back