Five Banded Barb Fin Nipping

FishTankCrazy

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi

Last week I purchased 5 five banded barbs from my local fish shop and was gauranteed that these fish were peaceful and definetly not fin nippers (as i've heard bad things about the tiger barbs habbits). I bought 3 Females and 2 males and 1 of the females is going around and nipping all my slow moving fish eg my black widdows, my corys and more importantly my betta!

My question is has anyone else own these fish or owned them previously? I'm a bit confused as i've googled it and i've not heard a bad word about them...

Thanks

Hi

Last week I purchased 5 five banded barbs from my local fish shop and was gauranteed that these fish were peaceful and definetly not fin nippers (as i've heard bad things about the tiger barbs habbits). I bought 3 Females and 2 males and 1 of the females is going around and nipping all my slow moving fish eg my black widdows, my corys and more importantly my betta!

My question is has anyone else own these fish or owned them previously? I'm a bit confused as i've googled it and i've not heard a bad word about them...

Thanks

What size tank do you have, you need at least a 20 gallon tank.

It could just be a fiesty female, but if these are Puntius pentazona, I would consider adding at least two more females and another male to make a group of eight before writing them off. Many barbs by nature constantly try to improve their rank in the group and often other species get included if there are not enough of their own kind to "challenge."

I'm not sure of the scientific name for them and i'm not 100% sure that they are five banded barbs as the guy in the fish shop told me they were cherry barbs??? I've attached some pictures to try and help with this but the dam things wouldn't stay still!!

This is a 50g tank

Thanks again

DSC00846.jpg

DSC00845.jpg

DSC00844.jpg

DSC00843.jpg

DSC00842.jpg

Nice pics of your Puntius pentazona or five banded barb, how on earth the guy in your lfs come to the conclusion they were cherry barbs i don't know.

Keith.

Definitely Pentazona Barbs.
I've got a group of 6 in a community tank and they're fine.
Abit of bickering amongst themselves whichyou would expect,
but they leave everyone else alone.
Perhaps try getting a couple more - and if she doesn't settle down, remove her !!

If you can, go to a group of 10. They might then just bicker upon themselves to establish rank.

Update,

Thanks for your replies. The fish seem to have settled in and all found place in the tank now. So it was i guess just them finding their pecking order.

Rob

Most reactions

Back