Fishless Cycling

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you get most of the fish to begin with you will be fine. When you add a few more later, it won't take but about a day for the bacteria to multiply sufficiently to handle the additionl load. When I cycled my 75 gallon tank, I couldn't find the angel fish I wanted so they didn't go in for about 3 weeks after the tetras and SAEs went in. I didn't see any mini cycle at all.

took out the ornaments and cleaned the algae off of them. It was brown and stunk like hell. Gonna test the water again tonight. It has now been 8 days. Hopefully im making some progress.

edit: should i top off the tank when water evaporates? Ive got the tank very warm right now to aid cycling, so alot of water is gone (probably about 6 gallons)

You can top it off. It will be fine, Just a side note to this, with fish in the tank, it's not a good idea as only water evaporates and the minerals stay behind so topping off allows the minerals and impurities to build up.

You can top it off. It will be fine, Just a side note to this, with fish in the tank, it's not a good idea as only water evaporates and the minerals stay behind so topping off allows the minerals and impurities to build up.

so what do you do once you have fish? just wait until you do a water change to re-fill?

well, im ten and a half days into my cycle. Amonia finally made its way back to zero this morning. I tested the nitrites, and they are around 5ppm. I re-added amonia back to arround 4ppm. We'll see how fast it goes away this time. looks like im on my way.

If you get most of the fish to begin with you will be fine. When you add a few more later, it won't take but about a day for the bacteria to multiply sufficiently to handle the additionl load. When I cycled my 75 gallon tank, I couldn't find the angel fish I wanted so they didn't go in for about 3 weeks after the tetras and SAEs went in. I didn't see any mini cycle at all.

Hi rdd1952,

I've noticed that my cycle has slowed how a little, I say that because it was doing really well getting to killing off all the ammonia within 15 hours, then I have discovered that it has stayed to 15 or maybe a little higher, and the Nitrite readings are still off the chart to the degree that the colour showing isn't even one of the shades on the chart.

Anyway, I checked the PH as I've read your threads about it slowing down if it drops too low, and the PH has gone down from 8mg to 6mg to 6.5mg. I suppose this is the reason why things are slowing right?

What can you tell me about this and is there a way for me to increase the PH again if I need to.

Many thanks

Martin :good:
PS Bythe way, my water is at 80 degrees (would this have an impact on it?)

The pH at 6.5 will make things a little slower than normal but isn't a problem. If your tap pH is high, you could do a partial water change to raise the pH back up some. A temperature in the upper 80s to lower 90s would definitely help speed things up. From what I have read, nitrification rates increase as temperature increases but haven't read of an upper limit yet. Saw one that tested up to 95 degrees.

The pH at 6.5 will make things a little slower than normal but isn't a problem. If your tap pH is high, you could do a partial water change to raise the pH back up some. A temperature in the upper 80s to lower 90s would definitely help speed things up. From what I have read, nitrification rates increase as temperature increases but haven't read of an upper limit yet. Saw one that tested up to 95 degrees.

Thanks for the fast reply rdd, what percentage of a partial water change should I do? It's weird as I did a 10% water change about 3 days ago :unsure: Our tap water is PH 8.0 so it should be okay. I will raise the temp a little higher too, I only have bog wood and sand in there so nothing should be upsetting it eh?

I'm trying to find out a little more about my Nitrite testing kit, when I do a test the colour is yellow/orange and the chart on the back doesn't even have those shades! :unsure:

Anyway, I will do the change.

Thanks

Since there aren't any fish, you can change as much as you want. Changing 50% should get you back over 7.0 again. You will probably have to top ff your ammonia again unless you do it just bfre you add ammonia back. I replied on the other thread about the kit. I've heard others mention the same thing. When my nitrite was so high, I never even shook the tube up and let it stand. By the time I got the 5 drops in the test tube of water, the bottom had already turned purple so I knew it was still off the chart and I just poured it out. I use the API kit where pale blue is 0 and purple is the highest reading.

about 24 hours after 2nd amonia dose (back to around 3 or 4) Amonia is down to 1 again, and Nitrites have dropped to around 2 ppm. Looks likes we're doing well.

Now a little less than 2 weeks in. The 3 or 4 ppm of amonia i added yesterday at noon are gone. It was processed in less than 24 hours. I just added again. Nitrites are still holding steady at 2. Quick question....

If the amonia processes in 12 hours this time, but the nitrites are still present what do i do? Do i just keep adding the amonia every 12 hours until the nitrites are gone?

Yes, continue to add the ammonia, you know now that there are enough bacteria to process the ammonia but now you must keep supplying ammonia to produce the nitrite necessary for the nitrite bacteria to develop. You will find that they develop pretty quickly, maybe in a week.

If you test the nitrate and find that it is increasing you will know that the nitrite is being processed....not long to wait now I'm sure. You'll be happy that you have done it in this way...you can fully stock your tank once it is finished cycling!! :)

Yes, continue to add the ammonia, you know now that there are enough bacteria to process the ammonia but now you must keep supplying ammonia to produce the nitrite necessary for the nitrite bacteria to develop. You will find that they develop pretty quickly, maybe in a week.

If you test the nitrate and find that it is increasing you will know that the nitrite is being processed....not long to wait now I'm sure. You'll be happy that you have done it in this way...you can fully stock your tank once it is finished cycling!! :)

ok thanks.

Quick question though.... Even though the tank will be "cycled" it really isnt what everyone here would consider "mature". Does that mean i should wait on adding somewhat fragile species like neon tetras or panda cories?

I know this is more of a stocking question than cycling, but i dont really think it needs its own thread. thanks in advance

Does that mean i should wait on adding somewhat fragile species like neon tetras or panda cories?

I'm going through the same and I have been advised and agree that Cardinal Tetras are a better fish to go with than Neon Tetras as they are more 'hardy', otherwise yes it is better to wait until the tank is muture - but that could take a few months.... or more :blink:

Good luck.

Does that mean i should wait on adding somewhat fragile species like neon tetras or panda cories?

I'm going through the same and I have been advised and agree that Cardinal Tetras are a better fish to go with than Neon Tetras as they are more 'hardy', otherwise yes it is better to wait until the tank is muture - but that could take a few months.... or more :blink:

Good luck.

interesting. from what ive read, cardinals are just as sensitive to water conditions. Plus, they are like 2-3X more expensive

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Back