Fishless Cycle

use pure household ammonia with no additives or scents. 3-4 drops/10gal/day until nitrites spike then half the dose. It'll go fast with used gravel and lots of water circulation.

konrad05 said:
use pure household ammonia with no additives or scents. 3-4 drops/10gal/day until nitrites spike then half the dose. It'll go fast with used gravel and lots of water circulation.
Water, Aqua Ammonia, surfactant are ingrediants on the bottle, is this good ammonia?

I think surfactants are bad maybe someone who knows for sure can back me up on that.

Family Dollar has ammonia. It actually has a Family Dollar label on it. Its only ingrediants are water and aqua ammonia. This is what I have been using.

TheWaterBoy said:
I think surfactants are bad maybe someone who knows for sure can back me up on that.

Family Dollar has ammonia. It actually has a Family Dollar label on it. Its only ingrediants are water and aqua ammonia. This is what I have been using.
This bottle is actually from family dollar on it. Only exception it say surfacants along with other ingredients!

canarsie11 said:
konrad05 said:
Water, Aqua Ammonia, surfactant are ingrediants on the bottle, is this good ammonia?
any pure ammonia should do it.

konrad05 said:
canarsie11 said:
konrad05 said:
any pure ammonia should do it.
I understand that any pure ammonia should do it, but is this pure ammonia? Just because bottle says so........

just make sure its free of surfactants perfumes and colourants, it will say on the bottle.

just make sure its free of surfactants perfumes and colourants, it will say on the bottle.

Thank you for backing me up on that.

Is the ammonia you have clear?? I got mine at family dollar and they had some that was a color, It had surfactants and perfumes and stuff. Then they also had the clear kind which is what we need. Perhaps you could go back and look again. Cause I would think they would all carry the same thing. But I dont know for sure.

TheWaterBoy said:

Thank you for backing me up on that.

Is the ammonia you have clear?? I got mine at family dollar and they had some that was a color, It had surfactants and perfumes and stuff. Then they also had the clear kind which is what we need. Perhaps you could go back and look again. Cause I would think they would all carry the same thing. But I dont know for sure.
I will hit up another family dollar today, cause now that I think of it seem like they were out of alot of things on that shelf. I really want to cycle this tank with out fish.

Also, do I need a source of bacteria, I was thinking purchasing a couple plants for the process!

a source of bacteria speeds things up and im pretty sure plants will do fine.

Shake the bottle of ammonia. If it doesn't foam it is ok. If it foams then you need to find a different source. Usually called Clear Ammonia or Pure Ammonia. I used a potted plant and some gravel from an established tank for my fishless cycle.

Most reactions

Back