Fishless Cycle So Far

DAY 30:

Emptied tank of approx. 90% of water. Removed disgusting red, white and blue gravel that was supplied with the tank and replaced with a much more natural looking smooth pebble-like substrate. Positioned large piece of bogwood that has been soaking for the last week. Set up new Fluval 105 external cannister filter with spray bar and Tetratec APS300 air pump. Refilled tank with water at approx the same temperature and topped up ammonia to 4-5ppm. Will let run overnight and test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the morning before work.

Makes me wonder if high nitrite levels inhibit bacterial growth ... hate to say this ... probably again ... you are much better off doing a daily low dose, that way neither your ammonia nor your nitrite will go off the charts.

Well, I'm currently at day 14 in my fishless cycle. Have not seen a nitrite spike yet. Nitrite has been @ 0.25 ( Traces) for last 5-6 days. Ammonia is around 4 ppm still. Also had Nitrate readings, for past 2 days it has been 10 and the prior 2 days before that is was at 5.0.
For some reason I thought I was suppose to see a Nitrite spike before I got Nitrate readings. Ammonia has never deviated much from the 4 ppm. I think I only added additional ammonia 1 time since I started cycling to get back or close to 4 ppm. Am I missing something in my cycling ?

Well, I'm currently at day 14 in my fishless cycle. Have not seen a nitrite spike yet. Nitrite has been @ 0.25 ( Traces) for last 5-6 days. Ammonia is around 4 ppm still. Also had Nitrate readings, for past 2 days it has been 10 and the prior 2 days before that is was at 5.0.
For some reason I thought I was suppose to see a Nitrite spike before I got Nitrate readings. Ammonia has never deviated much from the 4 ppm. I think I only added additional ammonia 1 time since I started cycling to get back or close to 4 ppm. Am I missing something in my cycling ?
Jeff, I think what you are seeing is entirely normal. That's exactly what I saw. Before the Nitrite spike, you see low production of Nitrite, with reading of 0.25 being typical, then maybe some 1.0 readings and usually somewhere along the way, according to many accounts besides my own, you all of a sudden get a reading of 5.0+ and that is why it started getting called "the spike" (because it is usually a larger amount and more sudden than what you've been experiencing for test results prior.)

Also, I believe your detection of the larger "ammonia drops" can occur either before, simultaneous with or after the nitrite spike. I think its better to think of them as separate events that should happen somewhat near to each other but are not that predictable in their timing. The eventual dropping of nitrite to zero if nearly always reported as coming along sequentially after the dropping of ammonia, usually by quite a bit.

~~waterdrop~~

Jeff, I think what you are seeing is entirely normal. That's exactly what I saw. Before the Nitrite spike, you see low production of Nitrite, with reading of 0.25 being typical, then maybe some 1.0 readings and usually somewhere along the way, according to many accounts besides my own, you all of a sudden get a reading of 5.0+ and that is why it started getting called "the spike" (because it is usually a larger amount and more sudden than what you've been experiencing for test results prior.)

Also, I believe your detection of the larger "ammonia drops" can occur either before, simultaneous with or after the nitrite spike. I think its better to think of them as separate events that should happen somewhat near to each other but are not that predictable in their timing. The eventual dropping of nitrite to zero if nearly always reported as coming along sequentially after the dropping of ammonia, usually by quite a bit.

~~waterdrop~~

Ok, Was just a little curious on the Nitrate level at 5.0 with such little Nitrite level at steady 0.25. Will keep my eyes peeled as I am doing tests every morning.

DAY 30:

Emptied tank of approx. 90% of water. Removed disgusting red, white and blue gravel that was supplied with the tank and replaced with a much more natural looking smooth pebble-like substrate. Positioned large piece of bogwood that has been soaking for the last week. Set up new Fluval 105 external cannister filter with spray bar and Tetratec APS300 air pump. Refilled tank with water at approx the same temperature and topped up ammonia to 4-5ppm. Will let run overnight and test ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the morning before work.

It'll be interesting to see what happens in the next few days. Good luck! :good:

DAY 32:

Ammonia processing seems to have severely slowed down. Added 2 days ago and it's still showing as 2ppm (mini-cycle from adding new things and taking out the old gravel maybe?). Nitrite's seem to be slightly slower, it's still off the chart but the colour is taking longer to develop and doesn't seem to be quite as dark.

*sighs* I'm getting slightly frustrated at the lack of movement with the nitrites but I'm determined to see it through. If there's one thing fish-keeping has taught me it's patience!

Is your temp turned up? Is your water getting good agitation and oxygenation? Its odd to have so many people have such different levels of timing with cycling. I too once had a tank take 6 weeks - and yet today I just finished cycling a 180gal in 10 days. Go figure ;)

As long as your temp is up and you are getting lots of air into the water I am betting things will pick up for your shortly.

DAY 34:

Added 2ml of ammonia this morning which bought levels up to approx 3ppm. Ammonia now reading at 0.5ppm and Nitrite at 1.8ppm! YES!!! :p

DAY 37:

0ppm Ammonia, 0ppm Nitrite. It's taken the better part of 6 long weeks but I'm finally there. Topped Ammonia back up to 2ppm and will test daily for at least another week before getting my fish to ensure it's cycling the ammonia load in 10-12 hours but I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel.

Can I just say thanks to you guys? I would never have had the patience to get this far with it if it wasn't for your help and advice.

Now I can start thinking about what fish to get (got a few possibilities in mind but nothing fixed yet) and finish up decorating the tank.

I do have a quick question regarding cycling though - do I need to cycle a tank for a Betta? My Dad bought me a 12 litre tank with an air-pump, heater and air-driven filter which I've been running for about 2 weeks now but I'm not sure if it's just because the filters not strong enough but it doesn't seem to be cycling at all. I know they don't really need a filter so I was wondering if I really need to do a cycle on the tank or can I just get a Betta and do twice weekly water changes?

Hi Kharma,

Congrats on the cycle, you're almost there. I'd advise you to keep adding ammonia for another week to make sure everything is as it should be, as you said.

With regard to the Betta, i would never advise an uncycled tank. Although it can be done, it is dangerous. One piece of rotting food which you don't spot could mean dead fish the next day. Running a filter is infinitely safer. Also, you'd be looking at daily water changes rather than twice weekly.

Good news is you don't need to cycle though. Wait until your main tank is fully cycled and ready for fish. Take a piece of the filter media from the cycled filter, put it into the Betta tank filter and add your betta. Instantly cycled tank!!

Its important to add the filter media and the fish to the new tank at the same time to avoid bacteria die-off.

Hope this helps you.

Cheers :good:

BTT

Good news is you don't need to cycle though. Wait until your main tank is fully cycled and ready for fish. Take a piece of the filter media from the cycled filter, put it into the Betta tank filter and add your betta. Instantly cycled tank!!

Can't believe I never thought of that. There's a small piece of filter media in the new tank that I added from my coldwater tank which should just about fit.

Thanks for all your advice and info over the last few weeks, by the way.

Most reactions

Back