Fish You Bought That You Never See

a bought a bristlenose pleco 4 and a half years ago. I see him perhaps once every other month when he decides to come out in the evening. I know he comes out every day but only when lights are out so I'm usually in bed.

my asian bumble bee catfish;
always used to hide in my ship reck ornament had him for like 6 months only saw him when i was extremely lucky, to be precise i only saw him about 10 times only because him came out in search of pellets for a few seconds

in the end i sold him back for 3 corys

I have quite a few fish in my tank but the two fish that I dont often see are my Synodontis ornatipinnis and my butterfly pleco L168. The fact that I dont see them as often as all my other fish doesnt put me off them, I find it a challange to find them, lol, especially the L168 as he can change his white stripes black to blend in with his surrounding's. As for the Synodontis ornatipinnis I havnt seen another for sale anywhere so I enjoy having something different.

Darn good point and thread - I have a beautiful little dwarf plec which apparently lives almost exclusively on bogwood and who I almost never see.

Same here, it's a dwarf goldspot (parotocinclus) and I thought many a time it had died. But now I"ve sussed out it's hiding place and if I look in there, he's always there lol, had him ages, was sold to me as a pitbull plec but he isn't, looks very similar though

My horsefaced loach used to be elusive when he was younger, I had 3. one died and one disappeared (didn't die as such, but literally disappeared, obviously died later) and I have one left (from about 2yrs ago) and he is a right fatty, he's so funny when he clocks me he darts off so quick all the sand stirs

My 2 inch amano's are very hard to spot as well, they hide a lot

I have a 6" Yasuhikotakia modesta (Blue Botia) that only comes out at night, She hides in a large wastepipe I have in the back of my tank. There are four smaller guys in there that are out and about all the time but the big one only comes out after lights out. It's a shame 'cos it's a stunning fish, still worth keeping even though It's rarely seen.

I had a blue botia that lived inside a castle ornament I had and on the few occasions I took the castle out the tank it would swim into the spire bits and wedge inside. The first time I didn't realise and only knew about it when the fish fell into the sink.

Dwarf Croaking Gouramis - They're so so pretty when they're out in the light. I have 5 in my tank but I'm lucky if I can even see one at any time. :(
I have actually been thinking of swapping them for something else. I think they're great little fish, but actually would be better suited to a smaller tank.

As for Kuhlis...I disagree. I have 7 and I can normally see at least 3 at any one time. So some do hide, but overall I always know they're there.

an L25 Scarlet plec for #80 and he never or rarely comes out, it makes it more special when he comes out though

My driftwood/oil cat. Like most of the others, they're nocturnal and hide for most of the day, but I've managed to get them out during the day for feeding, they're even taking flake now, though come out less reluctantly for bloodworm. That's okay, I just like having them.

When I had kuhlis they were out swimming around all the time

peppermint plec seen 6 or 7 times in about 18 months

I see all my fish but not all at the same time lol.

I see my kuhlis i have 9 and they pretty much have their own tank as Radish- one of my bettas for the most part just plays in his plants and attacks his refelction.

I've learnt how to sex them now, looks lke i have mostly females.

I was told Id never see my Kuhlis but I see 4 of the 6 all the time and the other 2 come out at feeding. 4 live under the filter next to low lying plants in the other 2 in a cave. The low lying plants seem to be the key they love the shade and protection.

How do you sex them though Forest?

My julii corys. And yes, it has put me off them. I used to love corys. They can be delightful fish, very amusing to watch. These ones suck!! They'll come out to eat, but only if you hold VERY VERY still. The slightest movement and they're all instantly in the back of the tank hiding in the plants.

Most reactions

Back