Fish that should not be sold.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I think the mortality rate must be high for all those brackish water fish people buy and never keep in brackish water. Mono's,Scats. Target fish..Mudskippers,Goby's,PUFFERS,.all of them. So rare to see a home aquarium with those special fish and large..meaning good care for years.
I need to go over youtoobee vids to see if there are brackish water aquariums even there.

I saw a utubee video on 10 fish that should not be sold. He surprised by including Clown Loaches because we now know they can reach 8" or more and he says few people have room for a group that size and even in a 2 meter aquarium he thinks that's too small. The other surprise was Oscars. I think of the many large Cichlids, Oscars are happy aquarium fish IF you are going in the 250 gallon range. Much more is better. He mentioned Kissing Gourami's..and some brackish water fish..Red tail catfish,Arowana's.
What fish do you think should never be sold?
I don't think giant Gourami and Pacu are home aquarium fish even if they live forever..just not right.
When it comes to smaller fish? I think it gets harder to say..they can live long..but are they happy at all?
Definitely sharks! They need so much room and what we think is enough, definitely isn't enough!

It wont be long before people into tats want those glo genes.
If you can put jellyfish genes into tatoo ink and make me glow in the dark then hook it up! Our tech isn't going to stop until the human race dies off so bring it on. Mass Effect dealt with this directly. Organics will evolve to the point where they can create synthetics. Synthetics will always break free and wipe out organics. Hence organics are purged when they hit their peak and before they can mess up and wipe out all organics in the universe. :)

Altering fish genetics directly (i.e. gloFish) accomplishes the same thing as crossing and recrossing fish to come up with new varieties except it's faster. That's my same issue with the anti-GMO arguments. There isn't a single crop we mass consume that wasn't engineered by humans. Same can be said for a large portion of the tropical fish people keep in their tanks today.
c.f. Bananas

Altering fish genetics directly (i.e. gloFish) accomplishes the same thing as crossing and recrossing fish to come up with new varieties except it's faster.
Personally I think glofish are less of an issue than highly over breed bettas. But the creation of Glofish is not the same as selective breeding. The genes inserted into the fishes DNA to give the glow to the fish come from creatures from an entirely different phylum, selective breeding only selects genes and gene expressions that are already within the fish's general genome. There is no natural mechanism I can think of where the genes from a jelly fish can end up in a fishes DNA.

The question should not be "Fish that should not be sold", but instead, "People who should not buy fish".

Personally I think glofish are less of an issue than highly over breed bettas. But the creation of Glofish is not the same as selective breeding. The genes inserted into the fishes DNA to give the glow to the fish come from creatures from an entirely different phylum, selective breeding only selects genes and gene expressions that are already within the fish's general genome. There is no natural mechanism I can think of where the genes from a jelly fish can end up in a fishes DNA.

The question should not be "Fish that should not be sold", but instead, "People who should not buy fish".
I can. Needlefish hits a jellyfish and then bumps into some fish eggs. :)

But the creation of Glofish is not the same as selective breeding. The genes inserted into the fishes DNA to give the glow to the fish come from creatures from an entirely different phylum, selective breeding only selects genes and gene expressions that are already within the fish's general genome. There is no natural mechanism I can think of where the genes from a jelly fish can end up in a fishes DNA.
Agree that the genetics mechanism is different (at least in the short term) , but as far as I can tell Glofish are a 'normal' species and not in the same class are species that are selectively bred in ways that are distressful to them even in in a captive environment.

This opens up the question of whether it is ethical to promote and support the trade of any modified (selective or artificial) species, and if not, where do we draw the line?

Glofish
Fancy goldfish
Balloon Mollies
Numerous canines

I'm ok with bettas being sold and I'm ok with them being on their own as companies can't predict their aggressiveness... I just don't like it when everything is all genetically modified OR when the fish gets so big its just unethical to keep it in a glass box.

My LFS do not stock glo fish, parrot fish, balloon/teacup fish. They don't have the monster fish or the "growers" (silver dollar, bala shark, common pleco).
However they do have a rescued red tailed catfish as their mascot and they do sell ornamental bettas.

If we start with several givens:

There is a demand for brightly colored fish
There are companies willing to supply that demand and make profit
These fish can be 'produced' via dyes, injections, or genetic modification

Then it is possible that Glofish have reduced the trade of dyed and injected fish.

If we start with several givens:

There is a demand for brightly colored fish
There are companies willing to supply that demand and make profit
These fish can be 'produced' via dyes, injections, or genetic modification

Then it is possible that Glofish have reduced the trade of dyed and injected fish.

Very good point. Additionally I think folks get caught up on actions taken to affect appearance. If at some point there becomes available cichilds modified with spider monkey genes that makes them resistant to Hexamita parasites (hole in head) or neon tetras modified with mandarin orange genes which makes them impervious to Pleistophora hyphessobryconis Parasite (neon tetra disease) then folks might have a change of heart. Would it be easy to resist two tanks of tetras that look, act and live exactly the same but one is much hardier than the other? Interesting.

Very good point. Additionally I think folks get caught up on actions taken to affect appearance. If at some point there becomes available cichilds modified with spider monkey genes that makes them resistant to Hexamita parasites (hole in head) or neon tetras modified with mandarin orange genes which makes them impervious to Pleistophora hyphessobryconis Parasite (neon tetra disease) then folks might have a change of heart. Would it be easy to resist two tanks of tetras that look, act and live exactly the same but one is much hardier than the other? Interesting.
I really want neons. I have fond memories from when I was a child and recently tried to keep a school, sadly they all perished. Perhaps it was NTD, but the end result was that my wife picked up a few 'big fish that wouldn't die' which happened to be Glofish. Doing some reading I saw that they are a shoaling species, so now we have 9 and we will add more in the near future.

I really want neons. I have fond memories from when I was a child and recently tried to keep a school, sadly they all perished. Perhaps it was NTD, but the end result was that my wife picked up a few 'big fish that wouldn't die' which happened to be Glofish. Doing some reading I saw that they are a shoaling species, so now we have 9 and we will add more in the near future.
I was looking at longfin blue danios for my tank but I'm going with blue danio glofish instead as I like the way they look. I love the future. :)

Most reactions

Back