Fish That Like To Burrow Into Sand.

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

My Weather Loach group hit at least 15cm in under a year, typically kept at ~22C.

Omg that is long. I've kept one that lived for 2 years on me and it stayed under inches long and was as thick as my thumb.

The best fish for this is definitely the banjo catfish i have 2 in my tank i never see them just there mouths poking through the sand waiting for food! they move the sand perfectly and remove all air pockets, my vote is for banjo catfish

do you have any idea how big they get,
dietry requirements etc
thanks a lot.
gotta choose soon got nitrates showing up quicker and quicker.

+1 for Banjo Catfish! Not only are they great for stirring up sand where they bury and spend their day but I they're something different and it's always a treat when they do come out to forage for food before the lights go out. They also don't have any particular requirements or needs other than sand, my two are probably about 4 inches and they've been in my tank while I've had juvenile Panda Corys and small tetras which rest at night close to the sand and haven't touched them. As for size I believe they get to around 6 inches mine just take bloodworm/cichlid pellets/catfish pellets which I put in as part of my tanks feeding routine. One thing is, though I haven't had any issues, it's best when you do see them to make sure they've got a bit of a belly on them so you know they're getting enough food, if this is an problem I'd just put a few pellets in a little after the lights go out 2/3 days a week.

do you have any idea where i can buy some? or would you have a couple which you would like to sell?
i been looking in my lfs for ages but to no avail.
thanks in advance

I've very rarely seen them in LFS's, in fact the only times I've seen them I've bought them! Main issue with them is that unless you know specifically what they are and want them, they're pretty boring, and won't sell, for example the second time I saw them the same batch were there for several months after. And unfortunately I've only got two in my community tank, best thing to do would be to either look on aquarist classified for your area or perhaps ask your LFS if they can order any in for you? By the way I found mine in an Southern Aquatics down here in Dorset if that's any help.

My lfs is moving soon so they won't order atm hopefully once they moved I can order. Hmm may be worth a journey down. I spose yea they are a bit boring but they are so useful and beautiful to look at.

i managed to get myself some MTS from fluttermoth :) 
but i'd love to get some cats at some point :)

Most reactions

Back