Fish That Eat Snails

skimmy290

Reaction score
Are there any other fish besides dwarf puffers and loaches that eat snails?

Which kind of snails do you have, skimmy?. They're not always a bad thing.

I agree with this. Even the dreaded tadpole snails won't necessarily do any harm; the biggest ones in my tank are over an inch long and aren't hurting the plants at all.

Kribensis is a small, friendly (except when breeding) cichlid that will exterminate a pond snail population. They will eat small snails whole, and are expert at sucking out bigger snails out of their shells. They're unable to do anything about trumpet snails though, because these have harder shells and the shells have a protective lid they can close when disturbed.

Which kind of snails do you have, skimmy?. They're not always a bad thing.

I agree with this. Even the dreaded tadpole snails won't necessarily do any harm; the biggest ones in my tank are over an inch long and aren't hurting the plants at all.

Kribensis is a small, friendly (except when breeding) cichlid that will exterminate a pond snail population. They will eat small snails whole, and are expert at sucking out bigger snails out of their shells. They're unable to do anything about trumpet snails though, because these have harder shells and the shells have a protective lid they can close when disturbed.

Trumpet snails I don't mind at all; they keep the substrate well turned and cleaned. If I found there were too many, I just held off feeding for a day or two, or just waited until ten minutes after lights out - they always seemed to congregate on the pieces of slate I have in the tank.

i've heard some rainbowfish like the boesmani will eat snails too.

or there's that assassin snail that eats snails, including trumpet snails.

heard some corries will eat snails but you have to crush them first. im after something that eats snails but i dont want to have to crush them!!! my snails are ramshorns

heard some corries will eat snails but you have to crush them first. im after something that eats snails but i dont want to have to crush them!!! my snails are ramshorns

Assassin snails will probably do the deed for you. They prey on other snails but not their own kind. They breed (obviously) but not as fast as 'pest' snails. They are light coloured with dark stripes. (least wise the ones I have seen are)

They can be a bit pricey but when they breed at least you could sell them on (cheaply, to your mates that offer advice :hey: )

i would like a 'fish' really as i can use the ramshorns as a source of food. anyone know any good snail eaters that all i have to do is plonk them in and they will find thm. i was thinking of a skunk botia but they get to 10cm. all the loaches that stay smaller are quite costly!

My pair of Bolivian Rams ate the snails in my tank!

Bala sharks will, as well. My crayfish made short work of an apple snail.

i'm not exactly sure what kind. they are small, blackish in color and seem to be reproducing quite quickly. i don't mind a few i just don't want things to get out of hand

I had that problem with those snails they are blackish brown in color and kinda tear drop shapped they are a very big pest, I had to clean out and replace everything in my 20g tank due to them reproducing so rapidly. Depending on the size tank you have I would suggest either Clown Loaches they can get up to 12" or get some Skunk Loaches 4" they will eat snails.

Most reactions

Back