Fish Tank Transfer

Andy13

Reaction score
Hi All
I am moving residence and need to move by 55 USG community tank. I also plan to change the substrate from black river sand to white/sugar sand. I'll list my to-do list and eager to hear your suggestions
a) 50% water change today (shift date - 7 days)
b) move my fishes into my hospital tank (15 USG) with 2/3 of the existing water and 1/3 new RO water (shift date -1 day). Use the existing sponge filter along with driftwood and pebbles. Connect the canister filter to the hospital tank
c) Drain out the water from the primary tank. Remove the black sand. Clean the tank with pipe water and a sponge (i use an old filter sponge to clean the tank every week)
d) Move the tank to my new residence. Clean the new substrate (sugar sand) and fill up the tank. Add the magic solutions (dechlorinator and beneficial bacteria culture) as per the bottle recommendations for number of drops
e) Move the canister filter to the new residence and attach to the primary tank. I would have a 30-45 minute gap when the canister filter would be switched off and i am hoping it does not do a big damage to the beneficial bacteria's
f) let it cycle for 2 days and keep checking water parameters
g) add a Discus and couple of Tetras every day from day 3, while monitoring the water parameters

Let me know your views
I'll share my experience

Last edited:
How long has the tank been set up? How is it stocked?

If it is cycled, there's no reason to cycle it again, just preserve your filter media during the move.

Going off what slaphappy said, I recently seen battery powered airstone packs in the outdoor section of Walmart. They sell them for bait fish and they were under 20usd each 😊

I moved very delicate species 10 hours on a -27 Canadian day without a loss, and without any cycle issues. Keep the filters wet, and fire them up as quickly as you can. Feed lightly for the first week or so. The only awkwardness is the need to prioritize setting up the tank(s) when you first arrive.

Moving empty tanks can be heavy, but your fish are tougher than you think - they came a long way crowded in bags and did fine.

This may be a problem:
e) Move the canister filter to the new residence and attach to the primary tank. I would have a 30-45 minute gap when the canister filter would be switched off and i am hoping it does not do a big damage to the beneficial bacteria's
g) add a discuss [discus?] and couple of Tetras every day from day 3, while monitoring the water parameters

If done as above, you are leaving the canister (with most of your bacteria colony) for 2 days in an empty tank (no fish) and with new substratum (so little bacteria there). There is a good risk of starving the bacteria and that can result on a un-cycled tank, despite your efforts.
Just my opinion.....

How long has the tank been set up? How is it stocked?

If it is cycled, there's no reason to cycle it again, just preserve your filter media during the move.
Thanks Slaphppy7
Tank has been setup 8 years back and is stable. It is lightly stocked - have 5 large Discus (5 inch's each), 15 widow tetras,, 1 large clown loach ,2 small clown loaches and 2 small plecos
So you suggest I move the tank and immediately setup it up (connect filter and change substrate) and add the fish

Last edited:
This may be a problem:
g) add a discuss [discus?] and couple of Tetras every day from day 3, while monitoring the water parameters

If done as above, you are leaving the canister (with most of your bacteria colony) for 2 days in an empty tank (no fish) and with new substratum (so little bacteria there). There is a good risk of starving the bacteria and that can result on a un-cycled tank, despite your efforts.
Just my opinion.....
Thanks FranciscoB
Do you suggest I add the fishes back as soon as the tank is setup in my new residence ?

Thanks Slaphppy7
Tank has been setup 8 years back and is stable. It is lightly stocked - have 5 large Discus (5 inch's each), 15 widow tetras,, 1 large clown loach ,2 small clown loaches and 2 small plecos
So you suggest I move the tank and immediately setup it up (connect filter and change substrate) and add the fish
Yes.

Be sure the filter media stays wet (submerged) during the entire process, and any deco as well...you will lose a bit of beneficial bacteria by changing the substrate, but that shouldn't be a huge issue, just keep a close eye on water params for the next several days after the tank is set up again.

Getting the Old Aquarium Ready to Leave.
establishing the new aquarium.
The Water is Being Tested to Match.
Filtration and Gravel Moving.
Fish Movement.

Yes again to add fish immediately after move. Monitoring parameters and being ready for doing water changes if something off is detected would be necessary. You would have two well seeded filters from the get go (sponge and canister), which should be kept wet during the actual move.
Good luck!

Most reactions

Back