Fish Tank Smell

Dasanii

Reaction score
are fish tanks suposed to smell? mine smells realy awful and the tanks clean but still has a smell and it kinda makes the room smell.. is there some kind of spray or anythin to kill the smell?

They're not supposed to smell. Some describe a very faint smell like earthy new mowed grass. Some describe a tank in fishless cycling as a very mild locker room smell. But a normal running tank should not smell bad.

Often bad smells are traced to incorrectly prepared bogwood or unusual substrates/gravels/rocks/decorations. Undetected dead plants or fish can also be a problem.

None of mine have an odor that i would say is bad yes a certain odor you can idenify but i think its just the moisture of the tanks. But i would advise you not to spray anything to near the tank as any air born chemicals can easily enter a tank and its water. This would not be good for you or the fish. Try doing a good water change and take a good look aroung in the tank for decaying plants of fish. If nothing maybe try a gravel vac while doing the water change and keep this up for couple days.

Are you having any weird ammonia, nitrite readings?

None of mine have an odor that i would say is bad yes a certain odor you can idenify but i think its just the moisture of the tanks. But i would advise you not to spray anything to near the tank as any air born chemicals can easily enter a tank and its water. This would not be good for you or the fish. Try doing a good water change and take a good look aroung in the tank for decaying plants of fish. If nothing maybe try a gravel vac while doing the water change and keep this up for couple days.

Are you having any weird ammonia, nitrite readings?

well i have 2 tanks and they both smell... the 10 gal readings are ammonia at .3, nitrite at .6 and nitrate at about 20-30.. i have 1 plant in the tank, it was also overcrowded during cycle but not anymore.. there is also greenish water im geussing from the plant..

for the second tank which i got it used and it had a smell, i used vinagar and it was still there and i cleaned the crap out of it for a day and even left vinagar in the tank to sit for a bit and scrubbed again.. still stinks so i mixed vinagar with water and let it sit for a day.. i noticed a dead snail in the tank when i got it lol.. i tried so hard to get the smell out but in the end it smelt like it was gone but it came back again.. this is gona be so pissin if i need to clean it out again =(

oh yeah and for my 10 gal i noticed that it looks like cyclings almost done but the funny thing if i only had this tank set up for about 15 days max.. is this normal? i did use the water from the LPS when i bought the fish and didnt rinse the plant

The greenish water could be from the plan, but more likely its from a algae bloom which also might be causing the smell. I have noticed algae having an unpleasant smell. Do you know what kind of plant you have in the tank?

The greenish water could be from the plan, but more likely its from a algae bloom which also might be causing the smell. I have noticed algae having an unpleasant smell. Do you know what kind of plant you have in the tank?

i dont know the exact name but its banana plant or something like that.. it looks like theres mini bananas on the bottom of the plant

if i did clean the tank is there something i should use to eleminate the smell? vinagar did not work

Just do water change like usual, add your de chrolo chemicals and whatever else you use. Nothing spcial for the smell. Adding too many chemicals is bad for the fish.

Just do water change like usual, add your de chrolo chemicals and whatever else you use. Nothing spcial for the smell. Adding too many chemicals is bad for the fish.

so does this smell go away after the bloom or is it gonna be permanant till i do something about it?

Most reactions

Back