Fish Tank Light

HOw long do you leave your fish tank light on every day?

• 1 hour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 2 hours

• 3 hours

• 4 hours

• 5 hours

• 6 hours

• 7 hours

• 8 hours

• Longer but not over 12 hours

• Total voters

5teady_2012

Here to help
Reaction score
HI, i though it would be good to have a poll rather than a discusion so people like me who are intrested can see the prefrence of peoples tanks.

HOw long do you leave your lights on in your tank a day?

I leave mine on for 10 hours because I have plants. I have no algae problems.

Unless the tank has fake plants where light isn't an issue, I think everyone is going to be 8+ hours as that is pretty much required for live plants. For fake plants, you can simply turn them on while your there to view the fish as the fish don't actually need our lights at all. They can get all the light they need from the ambient light during the day.

Edit: I forgot to say that mine are on 10 hours a day.

OH btw, i leave mine on for 8-10 also because i have fairly heavily planted tanks

turn on @ 1-2pm when I come home for lunch - switch off 11pm - so about 10 hrs or so

Mainly for the plants

Unless the tank has fake plants where light isn't an issue, I think everyone is going to be 8+ hours as that is pretty much required for live plants. For fake plants, you can simply turn them on while your there to view the fish as the fish don't actually need our lights at all. They can get all the light they need from the ambient light during the day.

One of my tanks is in the garage where very little light gets in so i have to leave mine on for a while in there (stupid garage lol)

I voted 8 hours plus.

They are on for 12 hours/day for the plants. I've not had any algae problems so it works for me.

I dont have individual tank lights on my fish house tanks, i just have flouresent strips on the ceiling and under the racks which i only switch on while i'm in there, other than that the light comes from the window and a 11w energy saver light bulb in the center of the room.

The lights on my display tank in the house are on for about 4 hours in the evening.

It all depends.

One of my tanks has no light on it at all, while my reef actinica and FW tanks' lights are on for in excess of 12 hours.

Sadly both of these are not possible in your poll.

I leave my light on for 8 hours so the plants dont die, and the longer you leave the light on the more baby guppies you get. I've had 35 fry. I used to have it on all day and night for a month thats how I ended up with to many fry, so now i leave the light on for 8 hours.

I keep my lights on for 8 hours using a timer. When I turned the lights on manually I found that I was inconsistent.

The lights stay on longer into the evening when friends are over. :drink:

Thats what i use for 2 of my planted tanks, you cant beat the didtal timers :)

5 hours in the morning, 2 hour siesta period with no light, then five hours in the evening. So i voted (Longer but not over 12 hours)

Thanks for all the replays and votes guys/gals, been good to see the diffent ways people run thier tanks :)

Keep em coming if you have to time to vote and reply :)

Most reactions

Back