Fish Stocking?

The October FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

SteveR

Reaction score
Guys,
I have just completed my fishless cycle, what type of stock is suitable for a planted 260lt tank , the water parameters are:
Ph7,Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.0,GH8 & KH2, KH from my tap is 6 so is the Gh, thanks in advance..

As @Willbacon23 said we can only tell you what we would do but if you give us some things that you like we can help more
FOr example in a 260 litre my dream would be a cichlids shell dweller tanks but that’s likely quite different from your dream tank! I’ve also always wanted Apistogramma double fire reds!

Guys,
I have just completed my fishless cycle, what type of stock is suitable for a planted 260lt tank , the water parameters are:
Ph7,Ammonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 5.0,GH8 & KH2, KH from my tap is 6 so is the Gh, thanks in advance..
I’m no expert on water hardness so it’s unwise of me to wrongly suggest species for you to keep. I would say in a tank that’s around 65 gallons you’ve got a lot of options. A tank based on beauty could comprise of a huge shoal of one fish you really like (eg. 100 Ember tetras) In a heavily planted tank! A tank full of personality and playfulness could contain cichlids or a community tank with big groups of corys or whatever so the world is really your oyster here

I’m no expert on water hardness so it’s unwise of me to wrongly suggest species for you to keep. I would say in a tank that’s around 65 gallons you’ve got a lot of options. A tank based on beauty could comprise of a huge shoal of one fish you really like (eg. 100 Ember tetras) In a heavily planted tank! A tank full of personality and playfulness could contain cichlids or a community tank with big groups of corys or whatever so the world is really your oyster here
Thnks for the reply mate

You should keep your choices to fish that come from soft and acidic water. Avoid livebearers and african cichlids but you have a world to choose from, tetras, cories, rasboras, loaches and many more will be suited to your water. In fact most of the South American and Asian species woul work well.

If you see something you like seriouslyfish.com is a good site for checking species requirements. As well as hardness you should conside temperature, group size requirements and aggression / compatability with tank mates and what area of the tank they will spend most time in. Where a minimum group of 6 is recommended 12 (or more) is always better for social fish.

I agree with Seangee.
Your tap water is suitable for soft water fish such as most of the South American and Asian fish. Stay away from African Cichlids, Guppies, Mollies, Platies, etc.

Just to give a quick introduction for fish stocking and ideas.

1)Schooling fish (I guess your tank is a 4 feet tank)
You can have 2-4 groups of schooling fish in your tank.
Schooling fish are impressive when you have a big group of them in your tank.
The ways they swim/move together in the tank and their behaviours are interesting and impressive to watch.

Whenever you want to stock your tank, try to get fish from different levels of the tank (top, middle, bottom).

Probably you can have a group of Corydoras or Loaches at the bottom.
And another 1-2 or 2-3 groups of schooling fish at the middle/top level.
If you have 1-2 groups of schooling fish, then you can have more of them. And the greater their numbers, the more impressive they look.

You can look for schooling fish from:
1)Tetras
2)Rasboras

Some people may like the slimmer Tetras such as Cardinal Tetras, Rummynose Tetras, Glowlight Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, etc.
But I prefer the wider bodies Tetras such as Rosy Tetras, Lemon Tetras, Red Phantom Tetras, Congo Tetras(big), etc.

Some people may like the tight schooling fish such as Harlequin Rasboras and the Rummynose Tetras.
Hengeli Rasboras are smaller than Harlequin Rasboras but they looked better in my opinion.

2)Centerpiece fish or some individual fish.
You might want to look for some individual fish which are slightly bigger, have stunning colours and interesting characteristics.
I like especially Apistogrammas, Killifish (but check their compatibilities with others),Dwarf South American Cichlids, etc

3)Colours and sizes.
If you want to have colourful fish, choose fish with different colours such as red, blue and yellow fo your tank. Red is always the most striking. Blue will glow in the dark.
Don't choose fish that are too small such as Celestial Pearl Danio, Badis, etc as you will find them hard to be seen.

4)Compatibility.
Choose fish that are peaceful, compatible with each other and have same water temperature/ requirements.

Some info for you:

Catalogs:

Last edited:
I agree with Seangee.
Your tap water is suitable for soft water fish such as most of the South American and Asian fish. Stay away from African Cichlids, Guppies, Mollies, Platies, etc.

Just to give a quick introduction for fish stocking and ideas.

1)Schooling fish (I guess your tank is a 4 feet tank)
You can have 2-4 groups of schooling fish in your tank.
Schooling fish are impressive when you have a big group of them in your tank.
The ways they swim/move together in the tank and their behaviours are interesting and impressive to watch.

Whenever you want to stock your tank, try to get fish from different levels of the tank (top, middle, bottom).

Probably you can have a group of Corydoras or Loaches at the bottom.
And another 1-2 or 2-3 groups of schooling fish at the middle/top level.
If you have 1-2 groups of schooling fish, then you can have more of them. And the greater their numbers, the more impressive they look.

You can look for schooling fish from:
1)Tetras
2)Rasboras

Some people may like the slimmer Tetras such as Cardinal Tetras, Rummynose Tetras, Glowlight Tetras, Black Neon Tetras, etc.
But I prefer the wider bodies Tetras such as Rosy Tetras, Lemon Tetras, Red Phantom Tetras, Congo Tetras(big), etc.

Some people may like the tight schooling fish such as Harlequin Rasboras and the Rummynose Tetras.
Hengeli Rasboras are smaller than Harlequin Rasboras but they looked better in my opinion.

2)Centerpiece fish or some individual fish.
You might want to look for some individual fish which are slightly bigger, have stunning colours and interesting characteristics.
I like especially Apistogrammas, Killifish (but check their compatibilities with others),Dwarf South American Cichlids, etc

3)Colours and sizes.
If you want to have colourful fish, choose fish with different colours such as red, blue and yellow fo your tank. Red is always the most striking. Blue will glow in the dark.
Don't choose fish that are too small such as Celestial Pearl Danio, Badis, etc as you will find them hard to be seen.

4)Compatibility.
Choose fish that are peaceful, compatible with each other and have same water temperature/ requirements.

Some info for you:

Catalogs:

Excellent, thanks ..

Cardinal tetras
Glowlight tetras
Pencilfish (nannostomus marginatus)
Pepper cories (corydoras paleatus)
Sterbai cories
A bristlenose

No wait - that's my tank, and of course I am biased :whistle:

Nice to have so many schooling fish.

Most reactions