Fish 'Shed' Is under construction!!

As a matter of future interest what would it cost,usage wise to heat up a house/shed for the whole month or year?
I know we can have varying days of weather but roughly how much?

Dave.

As a matter of future interest what would it cost,usage wise to heat up a house/shed for the whole month or year?
I know we can have varying days of weather but roughly how much?

Dave.

its like the old story of the luxuary car sales man... if you have to ask - you cant afford it :D

I've not worked it out... and i'm not going to :crazy:

hi smithrc....

so did the missus get you any fish things for christmas or is it a case of there is 2 marital beds in the house one in the shed and one in the bedroom... :*)

Hi Smithrc

What are you using to heat the room?

I am currently looking into heaters at the moment.
The cheapest I have found up to now are the panel heaters. In the Argos book there is one that can be run for approx 1-2p per hour. I think thats about the cheapest? Mind you when you work it out if it is only 1p per hour that x24hrs x365 days per year, which equates to approx £87 per year.

Are you getting any condensation or damp with this cold spell?

Happy New Year to everyone!

Surely it would be more cost effective to run the heater on for a few hours, off for a few hours, and rely on the insulation to keep the temperature constant?

It's a great shed though Smith!

you would think so but it really isnt. My mother loves turning the funace off all night to save money, but it just ends up having to run hotter for longer to raise the temperature after the drop durinng the night. Besides, the temp swings would stress the fish. better to keep it constant.

you would think so but it really isnt. My mother loves turning the funace off all night to save money, but it just ends up having to run hotter for longer to raise the temperature after the drop durinng the night. Besides, the temp swings would stress the fish. better to keep it constant.

But surely a fish house has insulation great enough to keep the heat in for extended periods of time?

all good points...

I have heater in the tanks seperatly - as its not a dedicated fish shed (yet) i still have to work in there - and at 26º that would be uncomfortable - I have the heater on a thermostat set to approx 20º it comes on and off like your heating.

Once i decide on the final placing of the tanks etc - I will be wireing up a thermostatically switched socket for the heater - running off a normal house stat ;)

all good points...

I have heater in the tanks seperatly - as its not a dedicated fish shed (yet) i still have to work in there - and at 26º that would be uncomfortable - I have the heater on a thermostat set to approx 20º it comes on and off like your heating.

Once i decide on the final placing of the tanks etc - I will be wireing up a thermostatically switched socket for the heater - running off a normal house stat ;)

why not just add a massive heater to your sump?

all good points...

I have heater in the tanks separately - as its not a dedicated fish shed (yet) i still have to work in there - and at 26º that would be uncomfortable - I have the heater on a thermostat set to approx 20º it comes on and off like your heating.

Once i decide on the final placing of the tanks etc - I will be wiring up a thermostatically switched socket for the heater - running off a normal house stat ;)

why not just add a massive heater to your sump?

Its not a centralised setup yet - the tanks are all separate. ;)

:no:

What a shame...............you've built a lovely big shed and forgotten to put the 7 foot reef tank in there. Instead there's a load of sump sized tanks on shelves :p

Seriously though, nice job :thumbs:

:no:

What a shame...............you've built a lovely big shed and forgotten to put the 7 foot reef tank in there. Instead there's a load of sump sized tanks on shelves :p

Seriously though, nice job :thumbs:

ah but....

there is room for a 7x2x2 along the wall to the right of the pictures.... and there is a brown banded bamboo shark called Bambi at our local store..... If only :)

nah - that wall will be getting a combination of 4fts and 3fts (or all 3fts) on stands... More sump tanks on shelves!

hi

any chance of any more pictures, im dying from anticipation(sorry i cant spell) and also do u still have all the plecs you have on your web site??

kiss kiss
godzuki

Most reactions

Back